List #4: Good, bad, ugly

By AMANDA WALTZ

2003 was characterized by an unsatisfying array of films. It started out with the Jerry… 2003 was characterized by an unsatisfying array of films. It started out with the Jerry O’Connell disaster “Kangaroo Jack,” only to slip into a summer that lazily churned out sequel after sequel, including “Bad Boys 2,” “Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle” and the forgettable “Legally Blonde 2: Red, White and Blonde.” However, by year’s end, the movie theaters managed to salvage a few worthwhile gems, some unexpected and some definitely anticipated to bust box-office records.

5. “Freddy vs. Jason”

This was a diamond in the rough of bad summer movies. Although it sounds ridiculous, the concept of a battle between two American horror-film icons produced a movie that was a surprisingly entertaining blend of humor and gore. Between the hilarious one-liners and bloody, cringe-inducing killing scenes, the newest edition of many slasher sequels is a true guilty pleasure. Add the climactic fight scene, and you have a movie that would make any horror fan giddy.

4. “X2: X-Men United”

It is a rare occurrence when a sequel is better than the original movie. Not only does this second installment in the “X-Men” series pack a bigger punch with fast-paced action sequences, but it also introduces a new cast of kick-ass characters, including Alan Cumming as the transporting Nightcrawler. Fans should look forward to the third installment, which is due in the summer of 2006. Hopefully, it will keep up the good work.

3. “Lost in Translation”

This film from director Sophia Coppola is a dry, witty story about an unlikely friendship between two Americans in the midst of chaotic Japan. Coppola’s depiction of the loneliness of these two characters is superb, and, with this film, she finally proves herself as more than just Francis Ford’s daughter. The acting is also impressive, especially from Bill Murray, who deserves the Academy Award for his performance as a washed up-actor forced to make ends meet by appearing in commercials for Japanese whiskey.

2. “28 Days Later”

Danny Boyle, the man behind the depressing drug drama “Trainspotting,” has given new hope to the zombie movie with this scary and innovative British import. After a virus rips through England and causes everyone in its path to become enraged killing machines, the few survivors struggle to find a cure. This summer hit is a refreshing thrill ride that features both stylish cinematography and a chilling surprise ending. The DVD — which was released in December — has an alternate ending and deleted scenes that are definitely worthy of at least one viewing.

1. “Lord of the Rings: Return of the King”

This third and final chapter is the perfect finish to director Peter Jackson’s visually stunning and enchanting take on J.R.R. Tolkien’s classic series. Non-stop action, realistic special effects and a terrific cast help to create a legendary film that keeps the viewer riveted from beginning to end. The best picture Academy Award eluded Jackson and his team for both “Fellowship” and “Two Towers.” If he loses this year, the outrage should cause rioting in the streets.

And, just to mix things up, here are the five worst films of 2003.

5. “The Hulk”

Director Ang Lee took an odd turn for the worse when he replaced the film’s action with unnecessary metaphorical images. Hey Lee, lose the scenes of tree lichens and make with the destruction! Unlike the other, more successful films based on comic books, like “Spider-Man” in 2002 and “X-Men” in 2000, “Hulk” is burdened with cheesy special effects and a bloated, unsatisfying plot. Not only that, but the confusing blob of an ending leaves itself open to a sequel. Maybe the tree lichens weren’t so bad.

4. “Radio”

Based on a true story, this sickeningly sweet film gives Cuba Gooding, Jr. another reason to fire his agent. The talented cast — which includes the rarely seen Debra Winger — is wasted on this cheap sap-fest about a mentally disabled black man who becomes the mascot for a Southern high school football team. Not only is this film uninteresting, but in trying to be so heartwarming, it also lacks any realism. This film probably would have fared better as an episode of “Touched By An Angel.”

3. “From Justin to Kelly”

This train wreck is apparently based on a formula that combines the success of “American Idol” and an over-the-top beach party movie. Nothing is more appalling than having to watch “Idol” winner Kelly Clarkson humor the less-talented Justin Guarini as his last few minutes of fame fizzle out on the big screen. In 2004, this film will end up on the rental shelf next to other musical flops, like the long-forgotten Peter Frampton-Bee Gees romp “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.”

2. “Gigli”

In a way, this insanely bad film was a blessing. It finally put a stop the constant stream of publicity about the couple notoriously known only as Bennifer. Other than that, the film is a weird and unpalatable comedy starring the overrated Miss Lopez as a beautiful lesbian who is pursued by a dim-witted kidnapper played by Mr. Affleck. What a crazy, mixed-up world we live in.

1. “Cat in the Hat”

This movie is like being beaten over the head with a copy of the classic Dr. Seuss story and left for dead in a pool of one’s own vomit. Although no expense was spared in creating the colorful sets and props, the writing seemed to have been left up to a distracted kindergartner. Mike Myers does no better as the Cat, hamming it up in an embarrassing performance.