Pitt hopes new faces won’t hinder 2003’s success

By JIMMY JOHNSON Staff Writer

The Pitt women’s softball team has several new starters who look to build on last season’s… The Pitt women’s softball team has several new starters who look to build on last season’s plethora of broken records. Most important among the records they would like to break is last season’s record of 24 wins.

Two new starters who will be forced to make an immediate impact are freshmen starting pitchers, Laura Belardinelli and Meghan Bostick.

Bostick attended Grapevine High School in Colleyville, Texas where she recorded 657 strikeouts and led them to back-to-back regional championships.

Belardinelli is from Endicott, N.Y. where she led Union-Endicott High School to four regional championships and two New York state championships. In her senior year, she recorded an earned run average of 0.12.

“They complement each other well,” head coach Michelle Phalen said. “They’re going to be tested early.”

The infield features Pitt’s best softball player to date, sophomore Francesca DiMaria. DiMaria broke several school records, while earning All-Big East First Team and unanimous Big East All-Rookie Team honors. As a second baseman, she set school records by recording 54 hits including 13 doubles, 25 walks while scoring 40 runs to go along with a .353 batting average.

“She’s a really tough player,” Phalen said. “She has a great work ethic and she is always pushing herself.”

Also starting around the diamond is junior first baseman Casey Pickard, who started all 55 games last season batting .285, while knocking in 31 runs.

At third base will be sophomore Jen O’Donnell, who will see her first collegiate action after suffering a season-ending knee injury last year.

Freshman shortstop Sheena Hellon, will help guard the left side of the infield. Hellon brings a big bat to the Panthers with her .374 career batting average at Cordova High School in Sacramento, Calif.

Leading the outfielders this season is one of the two seniors on the team, center fielder Beth Gill. Gill batted .226 last year in her 32 starts.

“Beth is an outstanding player that will be expected to take charge of the outfield,” Phalen said.

Alongside Gill will be freshman right fielder Joey Scarf from Humble, Texas, where she earned all-district honors with her high school team.

The starting position in left field is still up in the air. Jessica Thomas and Morgan Howard will battle for the position. Morgan is a freshman from North Allegheny High School who batted .307 as a senior for the Tigers. Thomas is a sophomore and batted .156 in her first year of collegiate play.

Behind the plate for the Panthers will be senior catcher Heather Andrews. Andrews was limited in playing time last year for the Panthers, only playing in 39 games and starting in 24.

“On offense, Heather will be expected to step up and drive in more runs this year,” Phalen said.

Phalen is anxious for this weekend as the Panthers kick off their 2004 schedule in Tampa, Fla. They will start with North Carolina State at noon on Friday.

“I’m really excited about this year,” Phalen said. “We should break more records.”