List #3: All these films were good times at the theater

By SHANI ALSTON

It was a good year. It was a bad year. Well, it was last year.

2003, an odd-numbered… It was a good year. It was a bad year. Well, it was last year.

2003, an odd-numbered year with an odd mix of mediocre and outstanding movies, managed to give us the ends of two trilogies, as well as a few unnecessary sequels. Regardless, we had something to smile about. I like fun movies to chill out in front of, or smart movies that I’ll be discussing for a few days. In 2003, I managed to see a couple of both, and a few that didn’t fit either category but that were still enjoyable.

This eclectic list honors the movies that made me laugh, gasp, squirm in my seat or merely wonder what the heck was going on.

10. “Head of State”

With the real presidential election right around the corner, this one might be even funnier now. Chris Rock plays a local politician who is picked to run for the office of president of the United States. Of course, he doesn’t do anything right, and really crazy things happen. That’s why it’s funny!

9. “The Matrix Reloaded”

I had to pick the second one because just being so giddy to finally see the first “Matrix” sequel made watching it that much more fun. Although there was a lot of head-spinning intellectual and philosophical talk, that intense highway scene made up for it.

8. “School of Rock”

This was one of the funniest films of the year, with a feel-good plot that was somewhat sappy without being overly cheesy. Jack Black and the kids’ musical skills also made it one of the most rocking films of the year. I wish Black could be my teacher.

7. “Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King”

Why do good things always have to end? A long movie, but one that earned it’s running time. It was so beautifully done, it makes me wonder if there isn’t really a Middle Earth somewhere. I didn’t want to see it end. I guess that’s something the multiple-disc DVD will cure.

6. “Finding Nemo”

Disney released a truly enjoyable film that was worth the hype. A true family film that adults and kids, as well as everyone in between, could enjoy equally. The animation was amazing, transforming the screen into an underwater world filled with fish we could relate to. And that turtle was funny.

5. “Bend it Like Beckham”

I didn’t know who Beckham was before the film. Even though the title sounds dirty, it was a fun movie with different cultures but a lot of the same feelings. It’s even better now that we get to appreciate Parminder Nagra in her medical student role on “ER.” The movie had no shortage of talented actors.

4. “X2: X-Men United”

A rare sequel that was better than the first one. This movie goes deeper into the story of the X-Men, finally exposing the past of Wolverine. Many minor characters have bigger parts, which are fun to watch. Best of all, the characters are developed better, and the fight sequences were bigger than before. Now, if only Storm could get some more respect.

3. “Bringin’ Down the House”

I was surprised by how much I liked this movie. What could have been a mediocre movie filled with ghetto humor and white-guy-trying-to-dance laughs was actually a smart, timely, well-written comedy about two people from different backgrounds simply trying to relate. Queen Latifah and Steve Martin are really a dynamic duo. Besides, this was the movie that had us saying, “You got me straight trippin’, boo.”

2. “Pirates of the Caribbean”

It was a movie full of really hot guys and pirate fights on the open seas — so of course it had to be included in the list. There’s enough action for anyone to be entertained if they don’t exactly enjoy that type of eye candy. Pirate movies might make a comeback after this one.

1. “Elf”

It’s really a seasonal movie, but one that should be added to any Christmas viewing list. Will Ferrell’s comedic skills are not lost in this heartwarming movie, perfect for a cold night with the family. It’ll have you believing in the Christmas spirit, even if you don’t always believe in the script.

Now it’s 2004, one of those creepy leap years, with such movies such as “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban” and “Spider-Man 2” to look forward to. But don’t forget about the cool movies of last year. Now, there are always memories from them to be relived on DVD — with plenty of extras.