The soundtrack with five hot men is not so straight-edge

By AMANDA WALTZ

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy soundtrack

What’s That Sound?

Capitol…

What’s That Sound?

Capitol Records/Scout Productions

Recommended if you like: Dancing until it hurts.

After its premiere on the Bravo network, “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy” became an instant smash. It’s only natural that this hit makeover show would garner its own soundtrack.

On Tuesday, Feb. 10, the soundtrack was released in two versions — one with a bonus DVD and another with an advance video — both containing the music video for the show’s theme song, Widelife’s “All Things (Just Keep Getting Better).” Along with the theme song, the album is a mix of energetic pop dance songs and remixes.

Some of the tracks have gained popularity on their own, like the playful hit “Move Your Feet” and Kylie Minogue’s “Slow” — a smooth song that puts Britney Spears’s new irritating earworm “Toxic” to shame.

Other tracks seem to have emerged from the floors of the country’s dance clubs, including the show’s theme song and the booming track “Good Luck” by the Basement Jaxx — two songs highlighted by Donna Summer-esque vocals.

The rest of the album delivers more entertaining dance tracks. For example, Grid’s “You Promised Me (Tu Es Foutu),” contains heavily accented lyrics and an accordion. The song sounds like someone took an old favorite from French songstress Edith Piaf and played it against some heavy beats.

Besides new talent, the album offers remixes from music veterans, including a track from Duran Duran called “Sunrise” — Jason Nevins’ remix — a remix that sounds as if someone took the original ’80s hit “The Reflex” and pumped it full of a random club drug.

Another track that stands out is “Everybody Wants You to Emerge,” a clever mix of Fisherspooner’s “Emerge” and rocker Billy Squier’s “Everybody Wants You,” revamped by Barry Harris.

Appropriately, Elton John finishes off the album with “Are You Ready for Love,” a song reminiscent of a Friday night at the local roller disco. Originally recorded in 1979, the song became a hit when this remixed version was recently released in the United Kingdom.

Although these tracks are guaranteed to please anyone who appreciates a sweaty night on the dance floor, many tracks fail to inspire even a head bob. The track “Never Coming Home” (Gonna Live My Life remix) by Sting is a particularly unimpressive effort from the former front man of the punk group The Police.

Others, like the annoying pop song “Superstar” by Jamelia, sound as if they should have stayed in the show’s background.

Disregarding the drawn-out remixes, which drag some selections into a mire of uninspired beats and lyrics, the soundtrack is a pleasing treat for the ears. Fans of the show will especially enjoy this collection of upbeat songs.