Grant named for group’s adviser

By CHRISTINE CLAUS

A Pitt graduate from the early 1980’s stopped into the Student Affairs office last December… A Pitt graduate from the early 1980’s stopped into the Student Affairs office last December looking for a former adviser, whom he first encountered in his freshman year.

Coming back to Pittsburgh for a wedding, the graduate stopped in the William Pitt Union to say hello to Joyce Giangarlo, whom he hasn’t seen in almost 20 years.

During the years, Giangarlo, adviser of Student Government Board as well as for the College of General Studies SGB, has been someone to whom students can go, not only with a problem or for advice, but also just to talk.

A South Hills native, Giangarlo has been a faculty member at Pitt since December 1979. Since then, she has undertaken the role of being an adviser to various organizations throughout student affairs.

“For me, a whole lot of these students are a huge part of my life,” Giangarlo said. “Some of my students still keep in contact with me that graduated 10 or 15 years ago.”

Currently, Giangarlo is also the adviser of Phi Eta Sigma and Omicron Delta Kappa, along with managing Student Events, Telefact and Pitt TV.

“[The students and I] have had some really great moments,” she said. “There have been some tough challenges, but we’ve built so many great things here [at Pitt].”

When asked what was the best part of working at Pitt, Giangarlo replied with a hearty laugh, “That’s easy. The students, the students, the students.”

On the other hand, Giangarlo said her biggest challenge has been “getting people to trust students more, in regards to their decision making process [about the University.]”

“Change, growth, understanding and other people are what all student leaders need to consider when making decisions that affect the entire Pitt community,” she said.

“It’s what we do to get through the process,” Giangarlo said with a smile.

Advising SGB is a continual, year-round task, and with each year, new student opportunities are offered. This is how Telefact, the student directory, shuttle buses and Safe Rider — formally known as Van Call — came about.

According to Giangarlo, SGB has the power to influence the student body as decision makers.

“[SGB’s] power to allocate the funds is the lifeblood of the organization,” she said.

During her time at Pitt, Giangarlo has watched the University change and grow from the student development to the physical changes that have occurred on Pitt’s campus.

SGB has helped change Pitt’s physical campus with everything from the bus shelters to the bronze panther to the neon sculpture in the Union atrium.

“These are things that students don’t know about, yet alumni don’t forget,” Giangarlo said. “I think Pitt’s an amazing place to be.”

One student was so thankful of the time and work in student life put in by Giangarlo and Stephen Sivulich, a former Pitt professor, he donated an award on their behalf. This annual award goes to both a student and a mentor who have demonstrated extensive leadership and mentoring qualities.

A committee of student affairs professionals from various colleges and universities who will carefully review each applicant selects the winners.

A student and a professor will be chosen to win, and each will receive a $500 cash award. The award will be presented in time for the upcoming spring break.

The deadline for all applications is Monday, Feb. 23.

Last year’s winners were student Jill Costigan of the CGS SGB, and academic adviser Sara Brennan of CGS.

All application information is posted online at www.mentoraward.com.

“I was so shocked when [I was told] about the award last year” Giangarlo said. “It was the sweetest thing.”

Although the award was donated anonymously, there are many other students that seem to feel the same about the impact Giangarlo has made on them.

“She definitely kept me sane. She’s very good at that,” former SGB member Jesse Horstmann said. “With students working together, feelings get in the way, and she kept us all calmed down.”