Even in down times, there’s good music to be found

By IAN REED

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again — now is not a good time for rock music. Right… I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again — now is not a good time for rock music. Right now, we are in a sort-of post-ejaculation, musical refractory period. We are between movements. In a funk, if you will. The medium is changing. With songs being distributed online, you have to ask what is to become of the album. Will it be a lost art form? And the most successful genres in popular music today are country and hip-hop. As I am sure fans of these genres are not complaining, we rock fans are wondering, “Where is our Brian Wilson? Where is our Kurt Cobain? Where is our revolution?”

Fortunately, 2003 featured good music in several genres, though they might have been a little harder to find. The following is my list of the top albums of 2003. Handle with care.

5. Jay Z — The Black Album.

Not the best album I’ve heard, but the fifth best of 2003. This is Jay Z’s attempt to establish himself as the “best rapper alive.” Is he? No, but he claims to be. And although he gives the stereotypical rap “rags to riches” message throughout the album, he does it with a level of maturity that is superior to most of his peers.

4. Prefuse 73 — One Word Extinguisher + Extinguished: Outtakes.

This can be best described as dark brand of hip-hop; a techno variety of hip-hop. This is on the list because of its excellent production. This is one of those albums that might, at first listen, sound like noise to some. But those who can uncover what is underneath the sound are in for a treat.

3. Blur — Think Tank.

Recorded in Damon Albarn’s London studio, and elsewhere in England a barn in Morocco, Think Tank is everything a Blur fan could want in a follow-up to 13 and more. The rift that almost destroyed the band just prior to the album’s recording makes this new release all the more amazing. Standout track: “Sweet Song.” The echoed pianos and bass under Albarn’s vocals wrap you up like a warm blanket.

2. OutKast — Speakerboxxx/The Love Below.

Andre 3000 and Big Boi are obviously a level above every other rap artist out there. In a genre where staying power is a rare commodity, OutKast has been around for 10 years. While other rappers consistently rap about the difficulties of leaving the ghetto to become rap artists, Andre 3000 croons about love — a very welcome deviation from the norm. If Radiohead is the best in the rock business, OutKast is definitely best in the rap world.

1. Radiohead — Hail to the Thief.

“Where is our Brian Wilson?” might be the question we’re asking today. But in 30 years, people will be asking, “Where is our Thom Yorke?” Yorke is the single best pop musician in the world today. He understands something that the rest of us do not. His latest creation, Hail to the Thief, is not an easy listen, but it is an extremely rewarding one. It is obvious that the members of Radiohead, as a band, believe that good pop music must be difficult. Thus, Hail to the Thief requires repeated listens to appreciate. Like all good music, each song improves with every listen. Hail to the Thief is a masterful collection of songs and proves why Radiohead is still the best in the business.

For those of you who are waiting for the next big thing, I strongly urge you to listen to these albums. Even though we are in the midst of a funk, there is good music out there if you look hard enough. Honorable mentions for 2003 include wonderful albums by Cat Power, The Rapture, The Shins and Justin Timberlake. People to look for in 2004? The Neptunes, Billy Corgan, Eddie Vedder, Radiohead, The Pixies and Wilco.