Panthers upset in double overtime

By JIMMY JOHNSON Staff Writer

East Rutherford, N.J. – The Pitt men’s basketball team walked into Seton Hall wanting… East Rutherford, N.J. – The Pitt men’s basketball team walked into Seton Hall wanting revenge for last year’s 73-61 loss on the road to the Pirates, but the Panthers found themselves jumping off the plank again.

With 27.3 seconds to go in the second overtime and the game tied at 67, Seton Hall called time out to set up a chance for the game-winning shot. But Pitt guard Carl Krauser would make it easier for the Pirates when he committed his fifth foul of the game, allowing Pirates’ guard Andre Barrett to go to the foul line to shoot two free throws.

His first shot bounced around in the rim and eventually fell out, placing all the pressure on his second shot. He aimed and swished his second shot to give Seton Hall the one-point lead with 9.6 seconds left for the Panthers.

Freshman guard Antonio Graves, who came in to replace Krauser, took the inbound pass down the court, but watched his final shot bounce around the rim and out. The Panthers scrambled to come up with a rebound, but were unable to control the ball as time expired and the Pirates held on to win in upset fashion, 68-67.

“We should have won that game,” head coach Jamie Dixon said, shaking his head.

Seton Hall took full advantage of Pitt miscues by scoring 26 points on 24 turnovers.

“Sticks out like a sore thumb,” Dixon said, referencing the number of turnovers listed on the final stat sheet. “That’s where we were lacking tonight.”

The Panthers also ran into foul trouble, with Jaron Brown committing four fouls halfway through the second half. There were several offensive fouls called as the Panthers aggressively worked the paint.

Despite the miscues, Pitt had a challenge ahead of it in order to get the game to go to overtime.

It was down 45-39 with less than 12 minutes left in the game. Pitt guard Yuri Demetris tipped a rebound out to forward Mark McCarroll, who drove into the lane and laid the ball in.

Pitt continued on to make an 8-0 run with layups from both Chevon Troutman and Chris Taft to take the lead 47-45.

Barrett ended Pitt’s run when he drove through the lane and laid in two of his 20 points on the evening, including three buckets from beyond the arc.

The Panthers extended their lead to 55-49, when Krauser scored seven straight points on three layups and one freethrow, but into the picture stepped Pirates’ guard J.R. Morris, who knocked down a three-pointer.

Seconds later Morris hit another three-pointer to take a one-point lead at 57-56. On Pitt’s next possession, Seton Hall fouled Krauser with 19.8 seconds remaining in regulation. Krauser connected on the first free throw, but missed the second.

Seton Hall guard John Allen hit a jumper, but it was after time had expired.

Pitt had a chance to win the game in the first overtime, but fell short.

Dixon called time out with 13.5 seconds remaining in overtime, with the score tied at 61 and Pitt in possession of the ball. With the shot clock turned off, Pitt took its time to set up a potential game-winning shot, but it was to no avail.

Krauser finished with 23 points, but his eight turnovers and five fouls overshadowed his high output in scoring

Taft and Troutman both had double-doubles in the game. Taft scored 16 points and pulled down 15 rebounds, while Troutman scored 10 points and recorded 10 rebounds.

Pitt will look to rebound on Sunday when UConn comes to the Petersen Events Center. Tip-off is set for 1:30 p.m.