Panthers extend streak to 40 wins at home

By JOE MARCHILENA

For 39 straight games, the Panthers had walked off of their home court with another tally… For 39 straight games, the Panthers had walked off of their home court with another tally in the win column.

On Sunday afternoon against Connecticut, the men’s basketball team did everything it could to make sure that the streak would extend to 40, knocking off the Huskies and taking sole possession of first place in the Big East.

The win places Pitt in the driver’s seat to capture its third straight Big East regular season championship, its second straight Big East Tournament title, and its first ever No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

While it usually is not a good idea to look too far ahead, the Panthers knew how important this game was.

“We knew this is a game we would need,” said senior guard Julius Page. “It was a very big game towards the end of the season and we knew it was a step towards a No. 1 seed [in the tournament].”

In front of the largest crowd to ever witness a Pitt home game — 12,817 filled the Petersen Events Center — the Panthers did not disappoint. After both teams were tied at two in the opening minutes of the game, Pitt would not relinquish the lead, and UConn would get no closer than four points beyond the 12:20 mark of the first half.

Although players on the court ultimately determined the final outcome, the capacity crowd let the players know that they were there.

“With the way our crowd was, I normally don’t hear them,” Page said, “but tonight, I was able to hear them. Everybody is buying into the program.”

UConn head coach Jim Calhoun, who was recently named a finalist for induction into the college basketball Hall of Fame, is one of those people.

“This is a great environment to play in,” he said. “We’re fortunate that they are in our league. They’re the best team in our league … I hope we have the opportunity to play them in New York [in the Big East Tournament].”

Pitt has not lost at home since Jan. 12, 2002 — a streak that is currently the longest in the nation. The Panthers have also not lost back-to-back games since that season and avoided doing so by pulling out the win.

Like with many of the previous 39, the Panthers picked up the win by playing solid defense and spreading the ball around. Despite getting out-rebounded, Pitt had four players score in double figures and held UConn to 42.9 percent shooting from the field.

“Their defense made the greatest impression on me,” Calhoun said. “Their inside defense stopped us from getting into our [game]. They took us out of our offense.”

Although UConn center Emeka Okafor had 16 points and grabbed six rebounds, Calhoun felt that the Panthers — led by forward Chevon Troutman — were able to keep him in check.

“That’s the best job of defending I’ve ever seen on [Okafor],” said Calhoun. “They wore us down. I mean, we weren’t tired, but they were a little tougher and better at executing their offense.”

Despite the postseason implications that the matchup had, Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon and his team know that they still have a lot left to do to accomplish the goals they set at the beginning of the season.

“I don’t think they’re going to give us two wins for this one,” Dixon said.

“Everybody brings something different to the table,” Page added. “We’re not going to back down from anybody and do whatever it takes to win. [But] on any given night, anyone can lose.”

Although none of the Panthers would say whether or not they’d like one more shot at the Huskies in the Big East Tournament, Calhoun was more open with his thoughts.

“I’d love to be able to see Pittsburgh again on a Saturday,” he said referring to the Big East final. “I think that both teams would want to see anybody on that Saturday night.”