Kung-Fu fighting – and flying

By AMANDA WALTZ

“Master of the Flying Guillotine”

Director: Jimmy Wang Yu

Starring: Jimmy…

“Master of the Flying Guillotine”

Director: Jimmy Wang Yu

Starring: Jimmy Wang Yu, Kam Kang, Lung Kum Yee, Sham Tsim Po

During the 1970s, martial arts films gained popularity among audiences in the United States, the most well known being those from martial arts master Bruce Lee. With the 2003 release of Quentin Tarantino’s martial arts film-influenced, “Kill Bill, Part 1,” the director revealed his love for the genre, citing the little-known “Master of the Flying Guillotine” as his favorite. Since its release in 1975, the film has been circulated among cult film buffs through the use of bootleg videos containing a damaged print. Now, after more than 25 long years, the film has been fully restored in an uncut, wide-screen format and is prepared for re-release.

Directed by martial artist Jimmy Wang Yu, who also wrote and starred in the film, “Guillotine” takes place in 17th century China, where Fung Sheng Wu Chi, the blind master of the flying guillotine, sets out to avenge the deaths of his two disciples. Knowing only that they were murdered by a man called the One Armed Boxer (Wang Yu), Fung goes on a killing spree, decapitating every one-armed man that he encounters on his journey. When he and the real One Armed Boxer finally meet at a tournament, Fung declares that he will not stop until he has his revenge. Realizing that his safety and the safety of his men are at stake, the One Armed Boxer, one of the most skilled and respected fighters in the land, has no choice but to outsmart Fung in a climactic fight to the death.

The influence “Guillotine” has on more recent martial arts/fantasy films is apparent – in a few scenes, the One Armed Boxer demonstrates his ability to walk up walls and “fly.” Unlike its Oscar winning successor “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,” however, the film is not loaded with special effects. Instead, the story of “Guillotine” depends more on fast-paced, bloody fight scenes and interesting characters, like the Indian yogi who can stretch his arms out to twice their length in order to choke his opponents. The few special effects “Guillotine” does have are achieved through quick editing and cinematography, and sometimes end up looking cheesy to those accustomed to the flawless look of computerized special effects.

In the end, “Guillotine” should appeal to an audience that can appreciate the film’s intentional and unintentional humor. It takes a special type of person to find humor in eye gouging and decapitation. And unless the viewer is willing to not take it seriously, he or she may find it hard to digest the insanity of this otherwise enjoyable film.

“Master of the Flying Guillotine” plays at the Melwood Screening Room through Sunday. Call (412) 681-5449 for more information.