Wilson gives audiences the bounce

By ASHLEY WILLIAMS

The Big Bounce

Starring Owen Wilson, Morgan Freeman, Gary Sinise, Charlie…

The Big Bounce

Starring Owen Wilson, Morgan Freeman, Gary Sinise, Charlie Sheen and Sara Foster

Directed by George Armitage

“The Big Bounce,” from director George Armitage (“Grosse Pointe Blank”), is a chaotic but fun crime caper in which everyone’s a criminal, no one’s a bad guy and “things are exactly as they appear.” Based on the novel of the same title from Elmore Leonard, this movie follows the slightly immoral but entirely charming Jack Ryan (Owen Wilson) — not to be confused with the government agent of the same name in Tom Clancy books.

Jack loses his job when he hits his boss with a pipe in order to stall construction on sacred land by local developer Ray Ritchie (Gary Sinise). Charges are dropped in order to ward off bad publicity, and Jack is ordered to leave Hawaii. He declines to do so, taking a job managing vacation bungalows for Judge Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman) instead.

While working at Crewes’ bungalows, Jack meets Nancy (Sara Foster), girlfriend to his former boss, Ritchie. She’s a gorgeous girl with a weakness for criminal types. The two pair up and devise a plan to steal $200,000 from Ritchie. As the movie progresses, however, it becomes clear that not everyone is playing by the rules. The question is: Who is scamming who?

The answer to that question is never made entirely clear. Even after the plot unfolds and the heist takes place, there are loose ends that are never tied up. Some characters’ motivations are clear, while others’ are a bit uncertain. The confusion, however, does not detract from the fun.

While this isn’t the best adaptation of a Leonard novel — “Get Shorty” was far better — this is by no means a bad film. It’s classic Leonard, with everyone having a hand in the cookie jar by the time things play out. The characters are, for the most part, eccentric but lovable, and the plot twists keep the relationships between the characters interesting.

Armitage’s direction is what leads to the confusion that burdens the film; strong performances from the cast are what save it. Wilson nails Jack’s likably offbeat character, delivering witty retorts and strange thoughts with the carelessness of a man who doesn’t worry about doing right. Newcomer Foster portrays Nancy with sass and style. Also shining is Bebe Neuwirth (“Le Divorce”) in her comical portrayal of Ritchie’s wife. The rest of the cast gives fair performances, though many of the actors, especially Gary Sinise, are cast in roles too small, given their capabilities.

The soundtrack is fun and the pans of beaches are gorgeous. If Valentine’s Day has you looking for a touch of romance without the sap, “The Big Bounce” is for you.

“The Big Bounce” opens in theaters Friday.