Pitt women stop Princeton’s streak with a win

By BRIAN GOLDMAN

Participating in a dual meet for the first time in over a month, the Pitt women’s swimming… Participating in a dual meet for the first time in over a month, the Pitt women’s swimming and diving team ended Princeton’s 47-meet winning streak, defeating the Tigers 165-135 to improve to 4-1 on the season. The Princeton women’s team had not lost a dual meet since the 1997-98 season.

“We didn’t focus on [the streak],” head coach Chuck Knoles said. “When I informed the girls of their streak, the girls just said ‘oh well.'”

An unexpected win for the Panthers, which propelled them to victory, was the performance of senior Sarah Grant. Grant, who had placed fourth on Pitt’s team in the 200-meter breaststroke, won the event by a shocking .47 seconds to give the Panthers the full nine first-place points.

Pitt also had a one-two finish in the 200-meter freestyle. Senior Carolyne Savini finished .7 seconds ahead of teammate Kristin Brown to win the event. Brown also won the 100-meter freestyle, while Savini also placed first in the 200-meter backstroke and won a third event, the 200-meter individual medley by .03 seconds over her teammate, Jennifer Koch.

Princeton dominated the two diving events, winning 30 of the 38 possible points, but the Panthers won 157 of the 262 swimming events, capped by a win in the meet’s final event. The team of Brown, Jenny Livingstone, Kelly Redcay and Savini won the 400-meter freestyle relay with a time of 3:23:01.

“The women are making a big impact on the conference this year,” Knoles said. “They proved they are a power”

Pitt 154.5, Princeton 145.5 (men)

The No. 17 Pitt men’s swimming and diving team defeated No. 23 Princeton by the slimmest of margins Monday to improve to 4-1 on the season.

The diving team was a big key to the Panthers’ victory. In both diving events, the Panthers earned a clean sweep – first, second and third place. Sophomore Dennis Nemtsanov placed first in both the one- and three-meter dive.

“It was nice to see us perform so well,” head coach Chuck Knoles said. “The divers finishing one-two-three was big.”

Pitt continued to dominate early in the meet as the 200-meter relay team of Eric Bugby, Randy Gertenbach, Jason Miller and Darryl Washington placed first with a time of 1:33:40. Meanwhile, senior Eric Limkemann won the 1000-meter freestyle event by more then seven seconds.

The Tigers began battling back later in the meet. Justin Chiles got Princeton back on track with his victory in the 200-meter freestyle. The Tigers were able to finish first and second in the 200-meter butterfly and earn a win in the 50- and 100-meter freestyle events.

Freshman Jeff Leath helped hold back the Tigers’ run with wins in the 100- and 200-meter backstroke. Limkemann also won his second event later in the meet, winning the 500-meter freestyle.

“We had so many great swims,” Knoles said. “Limkemann was phenomenal.”

Princeton made a late run with a win by Meir Hasabani in the 400-meter individual medley and a win in the final event by the Tigers’ 400-meter freestyle team. However, the two wins were too little, too late, for Princeton, and the Panthers held on for victory by a narrow margin.