Panthers continue to roll with win over Hokies

By Joe Marchilena

Solid defense and high-percentage shots. That’s the Panthers’ formula for winning games, and… Solid defense and high-percentage shots. That’s the Panthers’ formula for winning games, and so far this season, it’s working.

Pitt improved to 15-0 behind a career-high 21 points from Jaron Brown, knocking off Virginia Tech 78-59 in the Big East opener for both teams. Brown was 10-of-15 shooting and scored the 1,000th point of his career, becoming the 31st player to reach that mark in Pitt history.

The Panthers forced Virginia Tech to turn the ball over 26 times, including 15 turnovers in the second half, and held the Hokies to less than 50 percent shooting from the field.

“I thought we executed well, especially in the defensive end,” said Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon. “We were able to force turnovers against a team with talented players.”

Julius Page shook off a poor shooting night against William and Mary on Saturday to add 20 points, and center Chris Taft chipped in with a career-high 17 points in his first conference game.

Bryant Matthews led all scorers with 22 points, but also had a game-high nine turnovers for the Hokies.

“You can’t beat yourself, and we did a pretty good job of that,” Virginia Tech head coach Seth Greenberg said. “They’re a very good team. They’ve got that toughness about them; they have depth in the front court.”

Taft got the Panthers on the board first, scoring five points to help give Pitt a 7-2 lead. Zabian Dowdell helped keep the Hokies in the game, hitting three baskets from behind the three-point line to lead Virginia Tech on a 12-4 run and help the Hokies take a 22-18 lead with 10:55 left in the half.

Pitt came right back, scoring nine of the final 16 points of the half, including Brown’s milestone basket, to end the half with a 39-33 lead. After receiving a pass from Taft, Brown drove down the middle of the lane and pulled up for a quick jump shot – a move that has become a staple in Brown’s repertoire.

“He was able to get to the middle of the floor and get separation,” Greenberg said. “He’s a good player. He’s not as flashy as Page or [Carl] Krauser, and he’s different than Brandin Knight.”

The Panthers continued their run into the second half, going on a 20-8 scoring rampage to grab a 22-point lead with 5:25 left in the game. Freshman Antonio Graves hit a three with 2:30 remaining to put Pitt up by 25 and seal the game for the Panthers.

Matthews, the Big East’s leading scorer, was held to just 10 points in the second half and committed seven turnovers, something that Dixon said his team focused on before the game.

“We used a variety of guys to guard him,” Dixon said. “We talked about not giving him open looks.”

The Panthers are off to their best start to a season since the 1915-1916 season and, with the win, extend a number of streaks. Pitt has won a school record 35 straight games at home, including a perfect 28-0 at the Petersen Events Center.

Pitt returns to action on Saturday as the Panthers travel to Miami to take on the Hurricanes. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m.