You would never guess who is the best

By JOE MARCHILENA

What do you get when you combine the agility and quick reflexes of a guard with the strength… What do you get when you combine the agility and quick reflexes of a guard with the strength and physicality of a power forward?

You get Jaron Brown, Pitt’s versatile guard/forward who is oftentimes overshadowed in the national and local media by his flashier, more outspoken teammates.

But when you get down to it, Brown played a large role in Pitt’s success the past two seasons and has been the key to the Panthers’ success this year. While other starters have gone down with injuries or suffered through shooting struggles, Brown has stepped up and become another scoring option that the Panthers have so desperately needed at times.

The only people that Brown seems to get recognition from are the coaches and members of opposing teams. After Monday night’s win over Notre Dame, some members of the Fighting Irish had this to say about Brown:

“He’s the heart and soul of their team,” said Irish point guard Chris Thomas.

“Brown’s been around too long,” Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey said jokingly. “The NCAA should investigate.”

But Thomas and Brey aren’t the only ones.

“He has a presence on the court that is positive,” said Virginia Tech head coach Seth Greenberg after the two teams played earlier this season. “He is able to get to the middle of the floor … make plays and cause turnovers.”

What makes Brown so good?

First off, it’s his versatility that allows him play just about any position on the floor.

Originally recruited as a point guard, Brown was a backup to Brandin Knight his first season at Pitt. At some points this year, Brown has successfully run the point when needed.

For the past three seasons, the Panthers have used Brown in the No. 3 position on the floor, which means he sometimes plays as a small forward and sometimes as a third guard. His 6-foot, 4-inch, 229-pound frame allows him to bang bodies inside, but he is also agile enough to keep smaller players on their heels.

“He can post-up; he can handle the ball; he even guarded me at times,” Thomas said. “He’s a huge key for them.”

His versatility extends to the stat sheet as well. Brown is in the top three on the team in scoring, rebounds, assists and steals, and also does a number of things that don’t show up in a box score.

Against Notre Dame, Brown helped keep Pitt in the game, posting-up down low and fighting for loose balls to keep possessions alive.

“He’s an older, more experienced guy, and he made some big, big plays,” Brey said. “He’s a power forward playing at the three. He’s most dangerous when the shot goes up.”

But if Brown is such an important part of the team, how is he able to go unnoticed despite so much success?

Perhaps because Brown, who graduated last year and is pursuing another degree in legal studies, is one of the quietest basketball players you will ever see on a court.

“He is not a flashy player like Page or Krauser,” Greenberg said.

Whether it be on the court or off the court, Brown quietly goes about his business and gets the job done.

“I’m glad I’m not an opposing coach to him,” Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon said. “He seems to do everything right on and off the court and is such a great example of a great student athlete.”

If only they all could be like that.

Joe Marchilena is the sports editor of The Pitt News and thinks he could have been a small forward if he were a little bit taller.