Salt unleashes new issue with beer, Donkey Kong

By CHRISTINA CANN

The newest issue of a quirky Pittsburgh magazine is hitting the streets this Saturday, and… The newest issue of a quirky Pittsburgh magazine is hitting the streets this Saturday, and its creators want you to be there to witness it — and maybe get a little drunk and play “Donkey Kong,” too.

According to the mission statement written by its creators, Salt “is a journal that modernizes and reinterprets archetypes. Each issue explores a theme aesthetically, literally, and metaphorically.”

The latest issue deals with the theme of robots. And if you think there’s not a lot of creativity that can stem from something as mundane and utterly sterile as robots, you are sorely mistaken. Salt, The Robot Issue, will contain features on robot fetishists, Disney’s automatons, original art, a comic by Daniel Clowes (the creator of “Ghost World”) and much more.

And, really, who wouldn’t want to support a magazine whose launch party is billed as “Beer, Bands and Donkey Kong?”

The acts slated to perform are Girl Talk, an exciting group hailing from Cleveland; Hooligan Ship, a band whose mission is to make you dance; and Cory Tveten, a rising rock ‘n’ roll artist.

And if you’re nostalgic for the days when Donkey Kong reigned supreme, head to Games N At Video Arcade on the South Side with your pockets full of clanging change as plenty of the classic arcade game will be played at Salt’s release party.

A common complaint among the young people in Pittsburgh is that only old people live here and there’s no way to get involved in anything exciting. Here’s your chance to enter the vibrant independent community populated by young people who want to improve the city’s image and make it a better place for our generation to live.

Salt, The Robot Issue will be released this Saturday, at 9 p.m. at Games N At Video Arcade, 2010 Josephine St. Cover charge is $5. For more information, call (412) 481-2002.