Pitt men swim past three teams over the weekend

By BRIAN GOLDMAN

Both the Pitt men’s and women’s swimming and diving team took part in multiple matches this… Both the Pitt men’s and women’s swimming and diving team took part in multiple matches this past weekend. The No. 17 men’s team completed a clean sweep, defeating Notre Dame, 228-123, Maryland, 258-93, and Villanova, 298-49. The three victories improve the team’s record to 8-1 (4-0 in the Big East) on the season.

The women’s team participated in two meets, defeating Villanova, 228-125, but losing 233-114 to No. 19 Maryland. The women now stand at 6-2 (3-1) on the season.

Men

Pitt’s men’s team easily won its three matches over the weekend. On Saturday, Pitt won seven of 10 events, including a sweep in both diving events by Dennis Nemtsanov. Nemtsanov received 299.9 points, finishing 26.2 points ahead of his teammate, Matthew Schwartz. The Panthers also swept both relay events, the 400-meter freestyle relay and the 200-meter medley relay.

After being beaten by a split second in the 500-meter freestyle, Eric Limkemann bounced back with a win in the 200-meter freestyle event, coming in just 0.03 seconds in front of Maryland’s Chris Brandenberger. After helping the 400-meter medley relay team to victory, Jason Miller won first place in the 200-meter individual medley, and came up just 0.17 seconds behind Notre Dame’s Tim Kegelman for first place in the 200-meter butterfly.

Other Panthers victors Saturday included Jeff Leath in the 200-meter backstroke and Steve Marcucio in the 200-meter breaststroke.

In the three other meets at Trees Pool this past weekend, the Notre Dame men defeated Maryland, 201-140, the Maryland men defeated Villanova, 279-54, and Notre Dame also defeated Villanova, 282-51.

Women

Pitt’s women’s team started off slow Friday afternoon in the two-day event. The team had only one individual victory coming on the one-meter diving competition by Colleen Kristobak. Pitt was able to finish second in a couple events, including the 200-meter medley relay.

Carolyn Savini finished second in the 100-meter backstroke, while freshman Kristin Brown finished third in the 100-meter freestyle.

Pitt trailed Maryland by 52 points after Friday, but was beating Villanova by 43 points.

Saturday morning, the only individual winner for the Panthers was once again Kristobak, this time in the three-meter diving competition.

Maryland won all but two events Saturday, including both relay events. The only other event it did not win was the 500-meter freestyle event, won by Villanova’s Becky Koch. The Terrapins pulled off victories over both Pitt and Villanova (247-104) to remain undefeated (9-0) on the season.

Both the men’s and women’s teams travel to Penn State this weekend to take on the Nittany Lions. The women’s team will also face Indiana in State College, Pa., this weekend. Pitt will not be home again until Feb. 7 against Duquesne and Clarion for Senior Night.