Pitt survives sluggish start in victory

By RYAN FALOON

The Pitt men’s basketball team didn’t have to travel very far in its second away game of the… The Pitt men’s basketball team didn’t have to travel very far in its second away game of the season, but it somehow managed to show up late.

Despite a slow start and falling behind to cross-town rival Duquesne 24-22 at halftime, the Panthers (5-0) made the necessary adjustments in the second half, allowing them to pull away to defeat the Dukes, 59-45.

“We knew it was going to be a tough game,” Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon said. “The guys really stepped up in the end like they always do.

“We’ve got smart guys and we’ve got tough guys, and that’s really what helps us win games.”

Duquesne (1-2) got the crowd into the game immediately when Jon Pawlak knocked down the first shot of the game to give the Dukes an early 2-0 lead. With a sold-out crowd behind them, the Dukes showed up ready to play in the opening minutes of the game.

The Panthers were quick to respond with a 6-0 run, but Duquesne refused to let them break away. The Dukes quickly regained their lead and moved ahead 7-6.

Duquesne gave Pitt quite a struggle in the first half, but the Panthers managed to keep it close. The lead switched hands numerous times throughout the half, but the Panthers never trailed by more than three.

With a two-point lead and a roaring crowd behind them, the Dukes went into the locker room with all the momentum at halftime.

But the Panthers would not let the Dukes run away with the bragging rights of Pittsburgh.

Dixon credits Julius Page for helping his team make halftime adjustments, and he told them to slow things down and not to force so many shots. It appeared as though his team listened, and it worked.

The Panthers decided to show up in the second half and gave the Dukes quite a beating. They slowed down their offense and took better shots, wearing down the Duquesne defense.

Missed shots and turnovers by the Dukes allowed Pitt to break away and take control.

“We didn’t knock down our open looks,” Duquesne guard Jimmy Tricco said. “We knew they were going to come out hard. We didn’t respond to it.”

Page scored four points right away to start the second half, giving Pitt a 26-24 advantage, and the Panthers would never look back.

Pitt managed to start the half with a 17-5 run and took the crowd and the Duquesne momentum out of the game.

A monstrous dunk by Chris Taft put the Panthers ahead by 15 at the 8:38 mark, and the Dukes had nothing left in them.

They cut the lead to nine late in the game, but the Panthers made much-needed foul shots to hold on for the victory.

Carl Krauser led all scorers with 17 points, and Page finished with 13. The Panthers shot 44 percent as a team from the field. Ryan Tricco was the only Duke in double figures, with 10 points; the Dukes shot a distasteful 35 percent from the field.

“We’re not where we need to be right now,” Dixon said. “I think Duquesne played a very good game, and we knew we weren’t going to be where we want. We’re trying to get better, just like everyone else.”

The Panthers are back in action Saturday, as they host yet another rival, Penn State. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m. at the Petersen Events Center and will be televised by Fox Sports.