Hometown horror guru Savini speaks

By ELIZABETH COWAN

The career of makeup effect artist Tom Savini is so successful, it’s scary.

Since his start… The career of makeup effect artist Tom Savini is so successful, it’s scary.

Since his start in the ’70s, Savini has worked with a multitude of horror films and television series. The Pittsburgh native is better known for his work on the locally-based zombie film “Dawn of the Dead,” a sequel to the classic “Night of the Living Dead.” He has made a name for himself as a special makeup effects artist for over 20 films, two of them being the first and fourth installments of the “Friday the 13th” films.

But it does not end there. His achievements also include acting in such films as “From Dusk ’til Dawn” and “Dawn of the Dead,” special effects, stunts and directing, most notably for the 1990 version of “Night of the Living Dead.” He returns to Pittsburgh today to give a talk on his experiences in the world of horror cinema and television.

Sponsored by The Sprocket Guild in association with Pitt’s film department, Savini will give a presentation that includes a video and lecture, and will be followed by a question-and-answer segment and autograph signing.

For those who are curious about what it takes to make a horror film, Tom Savini will be speaking today at 7 p.m. in the 7th floor auditorium of Alumni Hall. For any additional information, contact Cary Hill at (724) 944-2614 or send an e-mail to [email protected].