Krauser and Dixon share first-time experience in win

By JOE MARCHILENA

NEW YORK – Friday’s trip to New York City was a series of firsts for Pitt.

The Panthers… NEW YORK – Friday’s trip to New York City was a series of firsts for Pitt.

The Panthers were making their first appearance in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic, point guard Carl Krauser was making his first collegiate start, and Jamie Dixon was making his first appearance as a Division I head coach.

Starting the season in the national spotlight would have been enough to cause any first-time player or coach to wilt under the pressure, but Krauser and Dixon said they felt none heading into the game.

“No one seems to believe me, but I didn’t feel any extra pressure or anything for this game,” Dixon said.

As for Krauser, who is from The Bronx, New York City, he started out the game just one of eight from the field, including missing all five of his attempts from behind the three-point line.

“Being home for my first collegiate start, I didn’t feel much pressure,” he said. “I just felt I had to go out there and do good. I guess I went out there and rushed it a little in the first half.”

But the sophomore turned it around in the second half, thanks to some help from Dixon.

“In the second half, [Dixon] looked me in my eye and said, ‘You guys are winners,’ and I knew he was talking to me,” Krauser said. “I knew I had to go out there and give it all I’ve got.”

After scoring two points in the first half, Krauser exploded for 19 in the second half, going two for three from behind the three-point line and hitting on seven of nine free throw attempts.

Krauser stepped up in the opening minutes, making two steals and two layups to help Pitt go up 34-33 and start to swing the momentum in the Panthers’ direction. His final three-pointer put Pitt up by five with 3:35 left to go.

“We’ve got a lot of confidence in [Carl],” Dixon said. “He’s going to surprise some people this year. Our players believe in him, I believe in him, and he just gets better and better every game.”

Krauser was not the only one to impress people.

“I think, early in the game, we kind of exposed them on some things offensively and they made some nice adjustments there,” Alabama head coach Mark Gottfried said. “[Dixon] did a real nice job coaching for them.”

Dixon faces a lot of challenges this season: replacing a successful coach, working six freshmen into the rotation and replacing three starters.

“Changes happen in college basketball,” Dixon said. “We have seven guys with a lot of experience and six guys with none. That was their first time seeing the lights, and that’s what we were looking for was getting those guys ready.”

The team also has to get used to having a different coach, although Krauser does not feel that will be a problem.

“We lost a great coach and gained a great coach,” he said. “They have both have different styles. Coach Dixon has a lot more energy, and at the same time, he’s smooth.”

The Panthers will need that energy and smoothness to help them return to the NCAA Tournament.