Don’t miss a chance to get rowdy on TV

By EDITORIAL

Pitt students have a reason to haul themselves out of bed and start partying a few hours… Pitt students have a reason to haul themselves out of bed and start partying a few hours early Saturday – as if anyone ever needed a reason for that.

ESPN’s College GameDay will be broadcasting from Heinz Field from 10:30 a.m. until noon, before the Panthers take on Virginia Tech at 7:45 p.m.

Finally, Pitt fans have a chance to show the world what crazy, enthusiastic fans they are. This is a showcase for gusto.

Tailgaters should think of this as an audition. If they do well, Pitt will look more attractive to numerous publics. For instance, high school students considering Pitt may see the show and realize what a good time Panther fans have before games. Students at other colleges could see how tremendous a Pitt pre-game bonanza is, and be in awe – as well they should be. High school recruits could see what passionate fans there are in Pittsburgh, and that could sway their school decisions – which leads to better athletes, a better program, and more money. And who can say no to that? If the fans really wow the show, Pitt will be remembered as a school that knows how to put on a spectacle. Maybe it would even lead to greater coverage.

ESPN’s choice is huge for Pitt. So Pitt needs to make every effort it can to get students crazy and riled up. With all the resources the University has at hand, there is no plausible reason for the parking lot at Heinz Field not to be packed.

First, facilitate. Parking lots typically open four hours before an event. In this case, that would miss the show completely, leaving ESPN with some pretty boring footage. Get the lots open by 10 a.m. at the latest, so students can get a decent spot and begin getting excited.

Then, publicize. Get Mr. Audix to leave a voice mail on every campus phone informing students of their chance at fame. Heck, get Audix to offer a wake-up call to all the on-campus students, too. Even better – get the marching band to blast in the Ashtray. Post some fliers. Rally student groups. Transportation is always an issue – get the shuttles up and running early.

And if all else fails, use bribery. Students are suckers for free stuff. Hand out T-shirts, ice cream, towels or whatever else is lying around.

This is a huge opportunity for the University to build prestige and excitement. This game features two of the five front-runners for the Heisman Trophy, and the ramifications for the Big East are huge. It’s an important matchup and an important chance for Pitt to shine.