The Oakland Zoo contains a different breed of animals

By JOE MARCHILENA

Zoos are generally supposed to exhibit strange and exotic animals and, oftentimes, have an… Zoos are generally supposed to exhibit strange and exotic animals and, oftentimes, have an interesting smell.

But while the Oakland Zoo doesn’t have any real animals among its members, it can have a particular smell – especially if the guy standing next to you didn’t shower that morning.

Also known as the student section at Pitt men’s basketball games, the Zoo is the creation of seniors Matt Cohen, Zach Hale and Jon St. George. For four years, they’ve tried to create a special atmosphere at games while cheering on a basketball team that has grown from Big East doormat to national power during their time at Pitt.

Although the section has been roped off this year – which they aren’t happy about – there aren’t any of those annoying, “Don’t feed the animals” signs. But be careful, that doesn’t mean they won’t bite.

The Pitt News: What made you guys want to start doing this?

Matt Cohen: When we were freshmen, there weren’t many students [at basketball games]. We wanted to make a tradition here at Pitt. Zach and I thought up the idea and one year, the three of us collaborated and we got shirts. Slowly, we raised money for more shirts, and we’ve given out over 5,000 shirts.

TPN: Where did the name come from?

Zach Hale: Matt and I were just talking about it, and we came up with the zoo because there are a lot of crazy animals. We thought students would respond more to Oakland.

MC: We bought hats this year. We’re not bringing them out yet, but we have another 500 to 1,000 shirts for the Dec. 6 game against Penn State. Anyone that doesn’t have a new shirt is more than welcome to get a new one on that date. [Editor’s note: anyone with season tickets can contact the Oakland Zoo at [email protected] to find out how to get a shirt].

TPN: Why should anyone want to get new shirt?

MC: Anyone wearing an Oakland Zoo shirt is fine. This year, we changed our design a little bit, and if [students] have a season ticket, they’re entitled to a shirt. If they want to stick with the old one, that’s fine. We want to look like one unified group. That’s the point of the section.

TPN: Was there ever any point where you weren’t sure if this was going to work?

MC: Definitely. We gave out our first 400 shirts and the next game, about 50 people wore them and we were like “Oh no.”

TPN: You’re all seniors this year. What’s going to happen after this year?

Jon St. George: Hopefully, we’ll find leaders like ourselves to keep the tradition going.

ZH: When we started this, we wanted to build a legacy. We want to make sure that when we leave, people will be able to get shirts and go on trips.

MC: We want to come back when we’re 50 years old, and it may not be the same shirts, but we want [students] to be wearing Oakland Zoo shirts.

TPN: We’ve all heard from the administration why they should be here, but why do you think students should come to games against weaker opponents?

ZH: There’s no reason why [the Petersen Events Center] shouldn’t be packed. We’ve got a top-25 basketball team. They had a great season last year.

MC: Even though [last Saturday’s opponent was] St. Francis, they should still be in here. During the Big East [season], we expect this place to be filled. This is important, too, and we’d love to have everybody in here for every game. We want people to be in the game. There are only 1,000 [at the game last Saturday], and we’re not happy, but we can’t force anybody to come.

TPN: What’s the craziest thing you guys have done?

MC: At Notre Dame, we had their entire student section turning and yelling at us. It was the same at Penn State. The student section focused its attention on us.

TPN: If you were in a real zoo, what animals would you be?

ZH: I’m a moose.

MC: I’d be a chicken or a rooster.

JSG: I’m a wildebeest.

TPN: Why?

JSG: I’m crazy.

TPN: Oh.