Music at Carlow is as easy as 1-3-5

By JONATHAN CHECK

One night, three bands, five bucks and a fine evening.

That is what Carlow College, a small… One night, three bands, five bucks and a fine evening.

That is what Carlow College, a small women’s school just up Fifth Ave., is offering the general public at its first CARLOW 1-3-5 night. The event will feature three local acts in an evening aimed at celebrating the diversity of the Pittsburgh music scene.

Brad Yoder, resident folkie of the city, is almost as popular in Pittsburgh’s coffee shops as soy lattes. Recently voted “Best Local Acoustic Artist” by the readers of the City Paper, he’ll bring his mellow voice and textured songwriting skills to the evening. Ritual Space Travel Agency, a local five-piece with influences ranging from Sly and the Family Stone to Frank Zappa, will exercise their self-proclaimed dedication to “make people dance to strange music.” And Masai Turner, emcee from Strict Flow and local hip-hop visionary, will round out the evening with his rap skills honed on the streets of Pittsburgh.

So if you’re short on dough, entertainment and wheels, take a walk down the street for some cheap, convenient fun.

It’ll be as easy as 1-2-3.

CARLOW 1-3-5 will take place on Thurs., Oct. 23 at 7:30 p.m. in the Antonian Theater at Carlow College in Oakland. Tickets are $5.