Continuing the tradition, BAS host Dating Game

By ANDY MEDICI

If I were a fruit, what fruit would I be and how would you eat me? If you were an ice cream,… If I were a fruit, what fruit would I be and how would you eat me? If you were an ice cream, what flavor would you be and why?

These were just some of the questions asked Tuesday night at the Black Action Society-sponsored Dating Game, held in David Lawrence Hall as part of an effort to promote campus interest in Homecoming.

The game was divided into four sections, with each pairing up two single contestants for a dinner for two, compliments of BAS

Phinesse and B-Bonics provided the music for the dating game, while freshman Tonya Groover and sophomore Chris Holland hosted the game.

The hosts introduced each dating hopeful with his or her year in college, major and hometown. The participants’ names were not given, to avoid influencing the contestants’ final decisions and spoiling the surprise.

The concept of a Homecoming dating game was not as new as it may have seemed. BAS had held their own dating games for the last few years.

“It’s a tradition at BAS,” sophomore Frances Taggert said.

Many students showed up to watch the contestants answer questions, compete for a chance to win a date and improvise answers to the questions asked of them.

“It was interesting; it was funny; it was fun to watch,” freshman Sade Robbins said.

Some students were impressed at the number of students who turned out to fill the auditorium, as well as how well-planned and organized the activity was for those who participated in the game.

“They did a good job putting it together,” said game contestant Jason Funderburk. “It was a good Homecoming experience.”

This game was just one activity in a larger series of events taking place this week as part of Black Homecoming, sponsored by BAS. Some of the other events coming up include a spirit rally, a comedy show and an after-game party.

So, to prepare for the next dating game, sit down and pick a song that describes you, decide what your best attribute is, and try to answer the all-important question:

If she could, how would your mom describe you?