Pitt moves into regional and national rankings

By JOE MARCHILENA

In his first collegiate start, Pitt men’s soccer goalie Justin Lowery shut out defending Big… In his first collegiate start, Pitt men’s soccer goalie Justin Lowery shut out defending Big East champion Boston College on Saturday, 1-0.

For his efforts, the redshirt sophomore goalie was named Big East Goalkeeper of the Week. Lowery made five saves in helping Pitt upset the Eagles, who were ranked No. 13 at the time.

Also receiving recognition was senior defender Clay Haflich, who was named Big East Defensive Player of the Week for the first time in his career.

The win also helped Pitt return to the national rankings for the first time since Sept. 16 of last year.

The Panthers jumped up to the No. 18 spot in the Soccer America national poll and are also ranked No. 4 in the Middle Atlantic region by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll.

Pitt is one of five Big East teams ranked among the top 25 by Soccer America. The Panthers return to action on Sept. 6 against No. 17 Hartwick College, in the opening game of the Mayors Cup tournament hosted by Oneonta State.

Lee, Rutherford named to national watch lists

On Aug. 28, Andy Lee was named as one of 32 preseason candidates for the Ray Guy Award, given annually to college football’s top punter.

The 2002 Big East Special Teams Player of the Year, Lee was named a preseason All-American by Athlon Sports, Street ‘ Smith’s and Lindy magazines earlier this summer.

Last season, the senior punter averaged 43.1 yards on 73 punts to lead the Big East and rank 13th nationally. Lee is the second punter in Pitt history to earn first-team All-Big East honors and the first Pitt player of any position to be named Special Teams Player of the Year.

For his career, Lee has averaged 41.6 yards per punt and set a single-season team record last year with 3,147 punting yards, breaking Nate Cochran’s mark of 3,075 set in 1996.

The award’s preseason list will be narrowed to 10 semifinalists in early November and the winner will be announced Dec. 11.

Also receiving preseason honors last week was quarterback Rod Rutherford, who was named to the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award watch list. The award annually commends the nation’s top senior quarterback.

Rutherford became the first quarterback since Alex Van Pelt in 1989 to lead Pitt to a bowl victory in his first season as a starter. He also amassed a school-record 3,181 total yards on offense last season, a total that also ranks third in Big East history.

The Golden Arm Award winner will be announced on Dec. 4. Rutherford is also a candidate for the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award.