Rollman capitalizes on transfer from Iowa State to Pitt

By JOE MARCHILENA

Sarah Rollman is tall, but don’t tell her that – she already knows.

While being tall gets… Sarah Rollman is tall, but don’t tell her that – she already knows.

While being tall gets her plenty of stares and strange looks, her height has allowed the 6-foot-1-inch Rollman to be successful as an outside hitter on Pitt’s volleyball team.

After transferring from Iowa State, Rollman started for the Panthers during her junior year, playing in all 29 matches and helping Pitt post a 20-win season. Rollman ranked third on the team with 314 kills and was second in digs with 261.

This year, Rollman has picked up where she left off, with her latest accomplishment coming after last weekend’s Pittsburgh Classic. Rollman was one of three Panthers named to the All-Tournament team.

The Pitt News: What’s your favorite thing about playing volleyball?

Sarah Rollman: I think it’s one of the ultimate team sports. One person cannot do it all, you have to have everybody contributing. You can’t hit the ball twice in a row and you can’t hit the ball over or you’re never going to win. I think that part of it I really like, but it’s also ultra-competitive, and we just love to hit the crap out of the ball and block other people. It’s just so explosive and so much fun.

TPN: Does having to depend on each other make the team closer?

SR: It takes a lot of trust. You have to know that your teammates are going to be there for you and you’re going to be there for them. It takes a lot, but because we’ve all been playing for so long and because we have the love for it, it comes naturally.

TPN: What made you want to come to Pitt?

SR: I knew I had to leave [Iowa State]. That situation wasn’t working. I really enjoyed the girls when I came out. I enjoyed my teammates at my other school, too, but these girls, I just fit with them very well. Also, [head coach] Chris [Beerman] is the biggest ass-kicker ever. You want that in a coach and you know that the fact that he’s always there, ready to kick butt, just makes you want to be there too.

TPN: What’s the biggest difference in being at Pitt rather than at Iowa State?

SR: Well, the fact that it’s in the city. I’ve experienced the small-town campus and I’ve experienced the city campus. I like the city. I like the fact that there are so many options for us to do and more places to go out.

TPN: What’s your favorite sport other than volleyball?

SR: Football. [laughs] It’s another team sport. The offense needs the defense, and everybody on offense needs each other. Also, you just get to hit. [laughs] If I could play, I would play football. My family always has a tackle football game at Christmas.

TPN: What goes through your mind before each play?

SR: My high school coach used to call it ‘life between context.’ In between when the server serves, you’re thinking about how I’m going to pass this ball, and as soon as you pass the ball, you think ‘where’s the setter going to set,’ and you’re moving.

TPN: ‘Life between context’ sounds kind of philosophical.

SR: It’s just not standing and watching. There’s always something you should be doing, somewhere you should be moving between each context. [laughs] He is a very philosophical-type, very mental coach.

TPN: What’s your most memorable volleyball moment?

SR: In college, it would have to be last year, when we beat Miami and Virginia Tech at home. We had our backs against the wall and we hadn’t been playing very well, and then we came out and we beat two really good teams. In high school, it would be when we were in the state championship game my junior year, or just my entire senior year. [laughs]

TPN: What’s something that people would be surprised to know about you?

SR: That I am the typical Nebraska farm girl. [laughs] Not only am I from Nebraska, but I did grow up on a farm and I fed cattle and I did all that good stuff. [laughs]

TPN: Did you ever get attached to the cows or the chickens?

SR: Not really. My little brother definitely did. We got to feed them with a bottle, and I didn’t like them very much, so I didn’t get too attached. They were my pets somewhat, but I didn’t mind when they went to the slaughterhouse. [laughs]

TPN: So what’s it like to be tall?

SR: [laughs] It has its good and its bad. You get stared at a lot, and people like to remind you that you’re tall, as if you didn’t know it.

TPN: I’m sorry I mentioned it.

SR: Obviously, it has its benefits. I’ve been able to play sports and do pretty well at them. I don’t know, I’ve never known anything else, and my whole family is pretty tall. I can’t imagine what it would be like to be short and have clothing fit. [laughs]

TPN: If you could date any celebrity, who would it be?

SR: [laughs] I don’t know, I don’t ever fantasize about celebrities, but it would have to be Ben Affleck or Andy Roddick. You need someone who is somewhat athletic. I’m used to that kind of thing. I’d definitely take Ben now that J-Lo is through with him. [laughs]

TPN: We actually prefer Matt Damon.