Sparxxx’s deliverance doesn’t involve dueling banjos

By SHANI ALSTON

Deliverance

Bubba Sparxxx

Interscope

Bubba Sparxxx,…

Deliverance

Bubba Sparxxx

Interscope

Bubba Sparxxx, the good ol’ country boy of rap, is back with his second album, Deliverance. This autobiographical sophomore CD takes a look at the life of Bubba Sparxxx, from his beginnings in deep-country Georgia to his insecurities about the possibility of being a one-hit wonder after his first single, “Ugly.”

Fusing country music and rap might seem like a crazy idea, but with the first three tracks on Deliverance, Bubba Sparxxx shows listeners that he can make the combination work. These songs feature a country-song hook, with Sparxxx’s low, carefully spoken raps backed by twanging guitars, banjos and harmonicas playing during the verses. Sparxxx isn’t afraid to emphasize his southern roots, often making fun of himself by rapping about being a hick or just wanting money in order to buy a keg of beer and another pig. However, he doesn’t just stick with this one formula.

Timbaland, the rapper/producer behind Missy Elliot and Aaliyah, worked with Sparxxx on his first album and continues their relationship on Deliverance. Traditional hip-hop beats are scattered throughout the album, including “Hootenanny,” which features Justin Timberlake singing a smooth R’B hook while Sparxxx raps about defying those who doubt his success. While this song follows an already established pop-rap formula that guarantees Sparxxx will have radio play in the future, many tracks try to create something new.

Sparxxx gets personal in “Nowhere,” rapping about the struggle to become a rap artist. The song has a unique, flowing beat behind the vocals and has an almost gospel-music feel. “She Tried” is another look into the life of Sparxxx; he raps about lost love in a voice filled with regret.

As fast as Sparxxx gets serious, he returns to the comical, upbeat songs he became known for after “Ugly.” “Like it or Not” is a funky dance track that uses drums, guitars and horns. It’s a welcome change from the keyboards and synthesizers used elsewhere on the album.

The new ideas and beats on Deliverance assure that Sparxxx is not suffering from any sophomore slump. While his first album might have pegged him as an Eminem wannabe, his second album demands respect. Instead of trying to imitate other established rappers, Sparxxx tries to find his own sound. If Deliverance is any indication, Sparxxx’s search did not end up in vain.