Panthers prepare for A’M run game

By Ryan Faloon

A big question mark has found a home next to the Pitt defense, following the Panthers 35-31… A big question mark has found a home next to the Pitt defense, following the Panthers 35-31 loss to Toledo last Saturday.

Sophomore quarterback Bruce Gradkowski beat the Pitt defense in the air, throwing for 461 yards in the game. The numbers for the young quarterback were enough to make critics wonder about the Panthers – they dropped eight spots to No. 17 in this week’s Associated Press top 25 poll.

The Panthers (2-1) face yet another sensational sophomore quarterback this week when they travel to Texas A’M (2-1) on Saturday.

Like Gradkowski, Reggie McNeal, the Aggies’ quarterback, is young and lacks experience, but shows no signs of it on the field.

McNeal takes a different approach to the quarterback position than any the Panthers have seen thus far. Considered one of the nation’s fastest quarterbacks, McNeal likes to beat teams with his speed and agility.

“Their quarterback, Reggie McNeal, is a completely different athlete than anyone we’ve faced because he’s so fast and he can run,” Pitt head coach Walt Harris said.

The Texas A’M offense was originally controlled by Dustin Long, a senior quarterback who started last season. However, at 6 feet 2 inches and 195 lbs., McNeal came in this season and beat out the former starter with his 4.3 speed in the 40-yard dash.

“He is the fastest guy on the team,” Harris said. “No question. We have never played against anyone as fast as he is. You have to put a hook on him.”

Fortunately for Pitt, the Aggies’ offense has not been very efficient at passing and revolved mostly around the run. Though the Panthers were unable to stop the pass against Toledo, they may be able shut down the rushing attack of McNeal and the Texas A’M offense.

In its first three games this season, Pitt’s defense has yet to allow a team to rush for 100 yards in a game, and is giving up as average of only 85 yards per game on the ground.

Offensively for the Panthers, this may be running back Brandon Miree’s breakout game this season. He will face off against Texas A’M coach Dennis Franchione, his former coach at Alabama. Miree and Franchione had their differences at Alabama, resulting in Miree’s transfer to Pitt.

The Aggies have not been successful this season at stopping the run. Their defense has given up almost 200 rushing yards per game, which is to Miree’s advantage.

Miree is averaging 4.4 yards per carry this season for the Panthers. Additionally, senior fullback Lousaka Polite has contributed to the Pitt ground game, averaging 6.7 yards per carry on his nine carries.

The successful running attack of the Panthers, along with the Aggies’ inability to stop the run, presents a major advantage for Pitt this week. However, it is likely that the Panthers will do more than run.

Pitt quarterback Rod Rutherford and receiver Larry Fitzgerald have made their mark among the nation’s most dominant duos. Fitzgerald leads the nation in receiving yards, averaging 149.3 yards per game.

It is doubtful that the Aggies’ defense will be able to stop such an explosive air attack, and it appears that the Panthers will have success on the ground as well.

Saturday’s game looks to be full of high-powered offense from both teams and it can be expected to be a high-scoring matchup, considering the fact that both defenses have displayed flaws. After just three games this season, the defenses of both Pitt and Texas A’M are considered questionable.

For the Panthers, one question will be a deciding factor in Saturday’s results – can the defense stop the running attack of McNeal?

The game will be the first nationally televised game of the season for the Panthers. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m., and the game can be seen on ABC.