Rock out at The Warhol

By KATIE MAVRICH

The exhibit “Clown Paintings: From the Collection of Diane Keaton and Others” was deemed a… The exhibit “Clown Paintings: From the Collection of Diane Keaton and Others” was deemed a joke that was just plain scary, and the “Keith Edmier and Farrah Fawcett” and “American Supermarket” exhibits weren’t exactly up to par with the Andy Warhol Museum’s reputation for eye-catching pop art.

But Andy need not roll over in his grave just yet. Though the art exhibits haven’t been getting the best reviews lately, the Warhol’s Good Fridays are an entirely different story.

When they played their first show on New Year’s Eve in 1991, The Karl Hendricks Trio was just that – a trio. Some changes in the lineup occurred, changing the trio into a quintet named The Karl Hendricks Rock Band from 1998 to 2000. Today, they are back to their original number.

From 1992 to 1998, The Karl Hendricks Trio released six albums, none getting less than four (out of five) stars from the loyal readers of Rolling Stone. The local band even has a bio page on the magazine’s Web site. Who says Pittsburgh doesn’t have a kick-ass local music scene?

They’ve been quiet since 1998, but their latest release on Merge Records, 2003’s The Jerks Win Again, is sure to make alt-rock fans sit up and take notice.

And notice you can, frugal friends. To celebrate the release of Jerks, The Karl Hendricks Trio will be rocking out with Chicago-based Silkworm at this week’s Good Fridays event at the Andy Warhol Museum.

Tickets will run you only $5 for the event, which kicks off at 7 p.m., Friday, Sept. 12.