Experience cultures this week

By Dawn Diehl

International Week at Pitt is coming soon. You needn’t go far to soak up some culture from… International Week at Pitt is coming soon. You needn’t go far to soak up some culture from the myriad of lectures, concerts, exhibits, contests, films and activities offered from Sept. 27 through Oct. 4.

The Office of International Services and the University Center for International Studies, organizers of the annual event, promise some new activities this year, including a sidewalk chalk mural competition on Saturday.

Epicureans can register for special events such as the Oakland restaurant tour or the Persian cooking demonstration. The Mongolian barbecue, international beer tasting, and East European dinner and dance performance all sound tempting. And it’s easy to work all that eating off with the rich variety of dance and sporting events, including salsa lessons, Scottish games, and a soccer tournament.

International week also offers opportunities to gain information about studying or working abroad and, of course, to gain perspective on global issues with panel discussions throughout the week.

Most events are free. For a calendar of events and registration information, go to the University Center for International Studies’ Web site at www.ucis.pitt.edu/internationalweek.