Rutherford not charged

By JOE MARCHILENA

Charges stemming from an altercation outside of a Station Square club early Monday morning… Charges stemming from an altercation outside of a Station Square club early Monday morning have not been filed against Rod Rutherford.

A 19-year-old woman filed a criminal complaint against the Pitt starting quarterback, claiming that he assaulted her and shattered her car window in a parking lot behind Philthy McNasty’s, a bar near Station Square, around 2:30 a.m. Monday morning.

According to the complaint, the woman said she and two friends were in a car with Rutherford when he began to make advances toward her. She said he became angry when she rejected his advances, causing him to get out of the car. Rutherford then grabbed the woman’s arm, trying to pull her out of the vehicle, and kicked in one of the car’s windows, according to the complaint.

Rutherford met with police and gave a statement at Pitt’s South Side practice facility on Monday. Rutherford said the woman provoked him by throwing a glass at him in the parking lot, according to a source close to the situation.

“He certainly wants to tell his side of the story,” police Lt. Mark Romutis told the Tribune-Review on Monday. “He claims he has some witnesses. We’ll take all statements and discuss it with the district attorney and determine whether criminal charges are warranted, just like any other case.”

No charges had been filed as of Tuesday night. Rutherford’s status remains in question for Saturday’s season-opening home game against Kent State.

Pitt head coach Walt Harris would not say whether Rutherford would be suspended or disciplined.

“We are in the process of gathering information so we are sure we know exactly what happened,” he said on Tuesday. “We are not done. When we are done, we’ll give [the news media] our perception.”

Though he did not say when a decision on Rutherford’s status would be made, Harris did not give any indication that the fifth-year quarterback would not play in Saturday’s game.

“I’m not going to theorize until I get the facts and know what the situation is completely,” Harris said. “Until then, I don’t want to comment on it.”

If Rutherford were unable to play against Kent State, redshirt freshman Luke Getsy, who Harris named as Rutherford’s backup on Tuesday, would most likely start as quarterback.