Should Pitt help Pittsburgh public schools?

By EDITORIAL

Pittsburgh Public Schools are in trouble. A recent task-force report stated that the system is… Pittsburgh Public Schools are in trouble. A recent task-force report stated that the system is in shambles, with 54 percent of students not reading, and 61 percent unable to do math, at their grade level.

Clearly, this calls for both government and community action. Everyone from Mayor Tom Murphy to Chancellor Mark Nordenberg, who chaired a subcommittee that examined district leadership, commented publicly on the report, showing that the school system is a concern.

So, where does that leave Pitt?

Many Pitt students come from the Pittsburgh area, and many of those attended Pittsburgh’s public schools. Pitt was once considered a local university, serving Pittsburgh’s higher education needs.

But as our admissions standards rise – requiring higher grades, standardized test scores and class ranks than before – is our mission still to serve the community?

Or, in its effort to improve its academics and reputation, should Pitt no longer regard Pittsburgh as one of its primary sources of applicants? Has Pitt surpassed Pittsburgh?

If Nordenberg is heading subcommittees, then the town and gown – Pittsburgh and Pitt – connection has not been severed fully. Still, the question remains: How and to what extent should Pitt help the community?

The students surveyed, the ones unable to read and compute adequately, could be potential Pitt students. If given the proper opportunities, such as better textbooks, enthusiastic teachers and advanced classes, these students could thrive.

And Pitt has the resources to make it so. Some Pitt students already work as student teachers; others volunteer.

Some high school students can cross-enroll and take Pitt classes, but that depends on the school they attend. More schools should apply for this, and the ones who have already done so should encourage their students to attend. Nothing prepares students for college like actually going to college.

But Pitt cannot do everything, much less act as a panacea for an entire school system. While encouraging local students to apply should be a priority, it cannot be our sole mission. Thus, it is up to the school system to take advantage of Pitt’s resources.

Fostering potential Pitt students stacks the deck in our favor, and encouraging the school system to do its job shows that Pitt – even as a nationally recognized university – has not forgotten its origins as a community school.