Start those engines up

By Ian Reed

Ten years ago, a Nintendo/Sega collaboration would have been unimaginable, because they were… Ten years ago, a Nintendo/Sega collaboration would have been unimaginable, because they were fierce rivals competing in a growing video-game market. Today, the merger is a success.

“F-Zero GX” for the Nintendo GameCube is the latest installment in the “F-Zero” racing series. This highly anticipated title was developed by Sega’s Amusement Vision team and published by Nintendo. “F-Zero GX” is the best game released for GameCube so far this year and probably the best racer on any system released this year.

The game’s top-notch graphics have the most immediate impact on the player. It features more than a dozen immense and beautiful tracks and 30 stylized vehicles to choose from. The lighting and texture effects are equally stunning. What is most impressive is that all of these features are maintained at 60 frames per second while riding at speeds of over 2,000 kph with 29 other vehicles moving on a track.

It also features the option of running in widescreen or progressive-scan mode. All of these features combine to make “F-Zero GX” an amazing game to look at in motion. The only drawback is the relatively low polygon count of the individual vehicles, which is barely noticeable.

Nintendo and Amusement Vision spared no expense in the sound department. Though the game only runs in stereo sound, it features a surprisingly clean techno and rock soundtrack. The sound effects are clear and the vocal commentary chimes in often, though it does so without becoming annoying.

The play control is very intuitive and has a steep learning curve. Each vehicle controls beautifully with the use of the analog sticks and triggers. It’s a good thing too, as the tracks dip and turn, often leaving little room for error racing at high speeds.

Although the graphics, sounds and play control are top-notch, “F-Zero GX” is one of the most difficult racers released in quite some time. The high difficulty level may initially turn some weaker gamers away, but those who decide to stick with it will be rewarded. The natural feel of the control scheme and high difficulty level make “F-Zero GX” a game that can be appreciated by novices, but is still deep enough to satisfy more seasoned gamers. “F-Zero GX” is a must-buy.