Rev. charged with involuntary manslaughter in Gaines’ death

By JOE MARCHILENA

More than two months after the death of a Pitt football player, Rev. Henry Krawczyk was… More than two months after the death of a Pitt football player, Rev. Henry Krawczyk was charged Wednesday with involuntary manslaughter.

Early on the morning of June 18, Billy Gaines, 19, fell 25 feet through a false ceiling inside St. Anne Church in Homestead, landing on the pews below.

Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen Zappala Jr. also announced that Krawczyk would be charged with one count of recklessly endangering another person. David Abdul, another Pitt football player, was also in the crawl space when Gaines fell.

Krawczyk is also being charged with six counts of furnishing liquor, malt or brewed beverages to minors.

The two players, along with other members of the team, had been attending a cookout at the church that evening, and, according to an affidavit, alcohol was flowing freely.

Krawczyk had turned the rectory’s laundry room into a bar and would mix and serve drinks for the players, according to the affidavit. The priest acknowledged to police that he knew the players were under 21.

Gaines, who witnesses said was drinking continuously, had a blood alcohol level of .166 when he was taken to the hospital. The legal limit for motorists in Pennsylvania is .10.