Tuition hiked 9.5 percent

Next year, in-state students will face a 9.5 percent tuition increase and out-of-state… Next year, in-state students will face a 9.5 percent tuition increase and out-of-state students will be faced with a 7.5 percent tuition increase.

The announcement was made this morning during a meeting of Pitt’s board of trustees’ budget committee.

While this year’s tuition increase is less than last year’s 14 percent, Pitt’s in-state students will be paying $8,615 a year-a higher tuition than other comparable public institutions across the country, such as Pennsylvania State University, the University of Maryland and Ohio State University.

Pitt officials cited dwindling state aid as the primary reason behind the tuition hike. Chancellor Mark Nordenberg said that, based on the Commonwealth’s proposed budget plan, Pitt faces a 5 percent state funding reduction from last year. This brings state funding to $163 million, down from an all-time high of $178 million in 2001.

Nordenberg said he understands the added strain increased tuition has on students and their families. In an effort to combat the affects of next year’s raised tuition, the financial aid budget will also increase by approximately $8 million dollars.

While Pitt plans to increase tuition across the board, there will be no increase in any fees, such as student activities and transportation.