GBE plays Lollapalooza

By KATIE MAVRICH

Lollapalooza ’03

Saturday, 1:15 p.m.

Post-Gazette Pavilion, $49.50-$59.50

(412) 323-1919… Lollapalooza ’03

Saturday, 1:15 p.m.

Post-Gazette Pavilion, $49.50-$59.50

(412) 323-1919

Good Brother Earl has been a favorite Pittsburgh rock band for quite a few years now. They usually play venues like Fuel and Fuddle in Oakland or the Hard Rock Cafe at Station Square. This week, however, Good Brother Earl will open up the Blender Magazine Second Stage at Lollapalooza ’03, the first Lollapalooza since 1997.

Jane’s Addiction front man and Lolla founder Perry Farrell cites the cause for the hiatus of the rock festival as the fact that the recent years haven’t produced music that has been up to par. Bubblegum pop and boy bands invaded the air waves, and now they are finally starting to fade out and make room for the raw guitar riffs and self-penned lyrics that truly are SBB rock.

On the main stage, in addition to headliners Jane’s Addiction, is an eclectic mix of new music. Up-and-comers Rooney open the main stage, followed by Incubus, Queens of the Stone Age, Audioslave, funkmasters Jurassic 5, riot girls The Donnas and The Distillers – not necessarily in that order.

After Good Brother Earl finishes their set of roots-rock – a blend of classic rock, blues, bluegrass and funky jazz – the second stage will host its own gamut of sights and sounds. In addition to music by The Mooney Suzuki, Kings of Leon, rapper MC Supernatural and Burning Brides, Bellydance Superstars will be gyrating their midsections for your delight and Steve-O from Jackass brings his shocking antics to town.

What festival these days would be complete without people who believe so strongly in something that they let it be known to the world? Lollapalooza’s “World of Just (Be)Causes” incorporates both local and national nonprofit groups focusing on alternate energy sources.

Hitting up Lollapalooza will get you ready for the festivals that follow this summer, like Rolling Rock Town Fair and Ozzfest. But being among the cheering fans watching while Good Brother Earl rock the house – pavilion – is something that is sure to make your heart swell with Pittsburgh pride.