Times they are a changin’ in Lawrenceville

By Katie Mavrich

It may or may not be common knowledge that the creative expression multi-media arts event… It may or may not be common knowledge that the creative expression multi-media arts event called FLUX occurs in locations that are in flux, or transition. While it seems like only yesterday that FLUX 9 invaded Oakland, Flux 10 is already upon us.

St. Francis Medical Center closed its doors on September 6, 2002, and the site is slated to be the future home of Children’s Hospital. Not only is this specific site in flux, but the entire neighborhood of Lawrenceville is evolving.

“When I thought of Lawrenceville five years ago, it was not a place I would move. There is a lot of economic redevelopment going on there,” said Ryan Walsh, FLUX’s event coordinator. “It seems like Lawrenceville is the place to move these days. A lot of people are buying property there, and the whole Strip District-turning-warehouses-into-lofts thing has moved up onto Butler Street in Lawrenceville.”

FLUX 10 is taking place on the seventh and eighth floors of the St. Francis parking garage, located in the heart of the 16:62 Design Zone project. One of FLUX’s community partners, the zone spans from the 16th Steet Bridge in the Strip to the 62nd Street Bridge in Lawrenceville. More than 100 businesses, shops and galleries are located in the zone.

A parking garage lacks one of the most vital parts of an art gallery: walls. Because of this, FLUX 10 will focus on performance art and demonstration. Among the musical acts are African drummers the UMOJA African Arts Company, the extremely hard-to-book duo Grand Buffet, Boilermaker Jazz Band ‘ Jennie Luvv, Hope-Harveys and funk masters The Flow Band.

A visual-art highlight is a giant slingshot that will launch paint-filled balloons at a canvas for unpredictable splashes of color and shape.

The space allows for a stunning view of Downtown, East End and the Hill District. At eight floors up, a clear night will make the view from FLUX 10 amazing. But you won’t be there to gawk at the stellar view the space allows – too many other activities will surely catch your eyes and ears.

FLUX is all about transition, change and the showcase of up-and-coming spaces and neighborhoods. A space, as well as a neighborhood, in flux is perfect for such a diverse local event.