Times accountable for Blair’s fraudulence

By Editorial

The New York Times ” the most prominent newspaper in the country, if not the world “… The New York Times ” the most prominent newspaper in the country, if not the world ” published an article on May 11 detailing the lies and half”truths written by one of its staff reporters, Jayson Blair.

This extensive report examined Blair’s recent writing, finding that at least 36 of the 73 articles he’d written since October contained fraudulent journalism. One of his chief offenses was that he said he reported from locales as exotic as West Virginia and Maryland, while writing from New York City. He was, therefore, not witness to some of the scenes he described.

The article also examined Blair’s tenure at The Times and the series of ignored reprimands and hesitant promotions that allowed him to be a successful liar.

The Times owed its readers an apology for Blair, and duly delivered one.

Though they cite communication failures, few reader complaints and systematic fraud as reasons for Blair’s actions not being exposed until now, The Times left its arrogance off the list.

Believing that such fabrications could not occur so frequently and flagrantly at a publication as respected as theirs cost them credibility. They must now accept the consequences of both his and their actions.

They forgot that newspapers, as well as reporters, are responsible to the readers.

As journalists, we must be skeptical. Producing an unbiased, accurate paper requires, not only style, but also an unswerving commitment to truth. As a newspaper, we help create our readers’ perceptions of events.

But we do not create reality.

Reporters act as filters between events and readers. The onus is rightly placed on them to check facts. Newspapers cannot rest on their reputations. If The Times lies, who can be trusted?

Still, readers must not be passive consumers of news. People should not accept what they see or read as the alpha and omega of truth, regardless of how committed to accuracy the publication is.

A survey of our readership showed that 40 percent rely on The Pitt News as their sole news source. Given the task of serving the student body, we strive for truth, acknowledging our mistakes where they arise.

The Times ” which promoted Blair through the ranks, despite repeated objections from a top editor ” should do the same. Arrogance has no place in journalism. The Blair scandal should be a reality check for writers and readers.

For instance, The Times reported that The Diamondback ” the University of Maryland student newspaper for which Blair worked ” began checking its archives for errors, showing their dedication to truth, even truth that’s years old.

If words stamped in print offend common sense, don’t believe them unquestioningly. Blair was able to succeed because not enough people spoke up, and those who did were ignored.