I admit it: I really love the wicked ’80s

By Katie Mavrich

The ’80s gave birth to a plethora of great things – killer pop music, rocking metal hair… The ’80s gave birth to a plethora of great things – killer pop music, rocking metal hair bands, thrilling slasher movies, My Little Pony, “You Can’t Do That On Television” and me. Twenty-some years later, much like past retro comebacks, the ’80s are back and just as good as ever.

Thankfully, there are many outlets for a person to indulge in the rad decade. And I confess – I indulge without a second thought.

A few months ago, I proclaimed myself anti-club, preferring the bars of the South Side. That was before I discovered Chemistry, in the Strip. Never a cover charge, and always playing the coveted ’80s music, this place is perfect for an anti-dancer like me. But I dance. I flail my arms and legs about with total lack of rhythm. When ’80s music is playing, it’s next to impossible to make a dancing fool of yourself. I had almost forgotten about the original versions of “Total Eclipse of the Heart,” “Relax” and “Let’s Go Crazy.”

VH1 takes a look back at the pre-Mariah Carey era with its series “I Love the 80s.” Each episode looks at one year, in depth. It’s all about ’80s pop culture: the music, the fashion – which wasn’t exactly stellar – the lingo, the babes, the hunks and more. Big names like Dan Savage and Andrew Dice Clay pitch in their two cents about the decade.

Stainless is a local ’80s metal cover band. I first saw them at Margaritaville in the South Side. Every song they perform sounds this close to the original. That night, my friends Josh, Corie and I decked ourselves out in ’80s digs. Crimped hair, blue eye shadow and even Electric Youth perfume were our ’80s accessories. With the exception of the drummer, who sports a real mullet, the other members of the band don wigs to complete their ’80s looks. Having seen them several times in recent months, I can honestly say that they are as good as metal revival can get.

Deja Vu, a martini bar in the Strip, has “Ladies and ’80s” every Thursday night. In addition to frugal drink specials with an abundant amount of alcohol – martini bar, folks – anyone can get all dolled up, ’80s style. Hair stylists and makeup artists are on hand to give you a Flock of Seagulls hairdo or the Madonna face. Of course, the soundtrack for the night is all ’80s music. Not everyone sports ’80s clothes, but those who do, pull it off so well that it’s hard not to wonder if they dress like that all the time.

Anything that has anything to do with the marvelous decade sparks my interest. However, as culturally clued in as I am, I do make mistakes from time to time. Actual arguments have ensued between my fellow ’80s-loving friends and me. As we were on our way to Deja Vu last week, we began talking about the song “Laid,” by James. It’s such a good song, emitting a strong ’80s vibe, that I assumed that it was from the ’80s. Corie backed me up on this, as did our other friend, Joe.

“It’s not from the ’80s,” Josh kept insisting.

All was forgotten until I woke up the next morning and checked my voice mail, only to find that Josh did a little late-night research and found that the song had, in fact, come out in 1993.

Hey, I never said I knew it all. But what I do know is this: in 10 years, when the ’90s are revived, I am going to feel old. But for now, I can look back with nostalgia on a time when Rainbow Brite was my hero, bigger hair was better, and Bret Michaels and Vince Neil were so hot that they seemed to give off smoke.