Local publications provide alternatives to The Pitt News

By Katie Mavrich

While The Pitt News, an independent student newspaper, strives to cover as much as possible,… While The Pitt News, an independent student newspaper, strives to cover as much as possible, there are other publications in the area that may further quench your thirst for news, satire, arts, entertainment and essays.

Pulp has proclaimed itself “Pittsburgh’s Source for News, Arts ‘amp; Entertainment.” This alternative weekly, formed little more than a year ago, stays true to its mission. It took little time for Pittsburghers to eagerly anticipate Thursdays, when new issues would be delivered to the little red boxes around the 412 and 724 area codes.

Cover stories have included: CD reviews; concert previews; theater, film, art and book reviews; and have also been stories of local political importance.

Some of the political and economic issues covered were: January’s Regional Antiwar Convergence, Pittsburgh’s budget, primary election coverage, the upcoming loss of a struggling neighborhood Rite-Aid store, and urban blight. There has also been entertainment news, of course, such as features on Mr. Small’s Funhouse, art openings and The Iron City Squares, a gay and lesbian square-dancing group.

You can never say there is nothing to do here; there are weekly event listings in each issue.

The newsier of alternative weekly papers is Pulp’s rival of sorts, City Paper. The “arts, entertainment and newsweekly” comes out each Wednesday, all over the Pittsburgh area. While arts and entertainment are certainly important to City Paper, the columns that can be found each week are noteworthy also.

“Rant” allows readers to write in about whatever gripe they may have ? computerized jukeboxes, thong underwear, cheerleading as a sport. “You Had to Ask” also depends on letters from readers. Pittsburgh-oriented questions are the status quo here, and editor Chris Potter does as much research as possible to answer the queries. It’s a great thing to read if you want to brush up on your Pittsburgh trivia.

Conversations with noteworthy Pittsburghers comprise the Q’amp;A style column, “Local Vocals.” Statistical tidbits can be found next to weekly broadcast news hi’#30;jinks in “Go Figure” and “This Just In,” respectively. Catch up on political matters by reading “Political Footballs.” Dine out with Al Hoff each week as he takes you to different, unique local eateries. Weekly event listings, as well as restaurant listings, can also be found on the pages of City Paper.

Most of those attending Pitt’s main campus will find themselves living in South Oakland at one point, if not more, during their stint here. For those fortunate ones, and the rest of us, there is Souf Oaklin fo’ Life. It is a satirical view of life on the other side of Forbes Avenue; and Tom Stilley and his writers have no shame. Stilley’s monthly column is always written in Pittsburghese. Past issues have reported about Panera Bread taking over Oakland, the Pittsburgh Pirates petitioning the city and state for a new stadium post PNC Park, a checklist to see if you are worthy of making your abode in South Oakland, and Pitt’s radio station, WPTS, winning “Best Morning Show.”

This monthly publication can be found in various campus locales, such as Hillman Library and South Oakland hot spots, or at www.soufoaklin.com.

If you are afraid to leave the safe confines of your dorm room, or prefer to indulge in literary and photo essays, then the New Yinzer is perfect for you. Found only online at www.newyinzer.com, it strives to publish stories that wouldn’t exactly fit in on the pages of other publications. If something is already getting publicity in the media, it isn’t for the New Yinzer. The editorial staff hails from Pitt: Jennifer Meccariello is a former Pitt News A ‘amp; E editor, David C. Madden used to edit the Opinions section of The Pitt News and Margaret Emery was a staff writer during her college experience.

Various pieces of fiction, a story about The Hard Rock Cafe’s impact on Pittsburgh and a photo essay depicting graffiti in the ladies room of Gooski’s are some past submissions to the New Yinzer. Comics are something to look forward to each month, but poetry will never be found at the New Yinzer domain. Twice, the magazine has published print collections: a hodge-podge of an artistic-mediums festival called Flux inspired “Bedtime Stories for People in Trouble,” and travel stories were the common thread in April’s “For a Time We Wanted Something New.”

These publications, along with The Pitt News, will keep you up to date with all things Pittsburgh. If nothing else, they will serve as procrastination devices when it’s time to get down to business and hit the books.