Coaches are people too

By Joe Marchilena

Alcohol, college girls and strippers.

These are a few of my favorite things.And what?s so… Alcohol, college girls and strippers.

These are a few of my favorite things.And what?s so wrong with that?

Well, for me, nothing. But for Iowa State?s Larry Eustachy and Alabama?s Mike Price it seems to be a big problem.

Last week, both coaches were put on the hot seat for events that involved one or more of those three things and, because of them, both have lost their jobs.

On April 28, the Des Moines Register published photos of Eustachy at a house party on Missouri?s campus after his Cyclones lost to the Tigers in January. In the photos, the coach is drinking with students as well as kissing ? and being kissed by ? young women.

Last Wednesday, Iowa State suspended Eustachy with pay, and Bruce Van De Velde, Iowa State?s athletic director, recommended to the school?s chancellor that the coach be fired.

On Monday, Van De Velde received the next best thing, as Eustachy resigned after agreeing to a settlement with the school.

Meanwhile, Price, who left Washington State during the off season to take over Alabama?s football program, has already lost his job ? before he even coached a game.

While on a trip to Florida to compete in a golf tournament in mid-April, Price spent an evening at a topless club, buying private dances for himself and drinks for the dancers. The next morning, a woman charged over $1,000 to Price?s room, ordering one of everything from the hotel menu.

On Saturday, the school fired Price for what Alabama president Robert Witt called a ?failure to live his personal and professional life in a manner consistent with university policies.”

Why is this such a problem? It?s not like these coaches killed someone, stole something or even violated an NCAA rule.

There?s nothing wrong with having a few drinks after a game or at a bar, and partying with an opponent?s fans never hurt anyone.

All right, so maybe hitting up the nudie bars can be considered somewhat immoral, but it?s not like the guy was trying to take the dancers home. He just wanted to ?admire some beautiful women,? as one of the girls put it.

Maybe it is because I?m still in college or a little naive ? or both ? but I don?t see why it matters so much.

As long as the girls he was kissing are of legal age, the only person Eustachy should be worried about getting upset is his wife.

The same goes for Price. Whatever made him feel like he needed to go to a strip club should be a matter of discussion between him, his wife and no one else.

Coaches and athletes are constantly in the spotlight on the field, but just because they are doesn?t mean that their personal lives should be, too.

It shouldn?t matter what bar or club a coach or athlete frequents as long as they?re getting the job done on the field, court or ice.

Honestly, we shouldn?t even want to know what they do in their free time.

And, unlike politicians, they are not elected officials; they are doing a job just like everyone else.

It would be the same as someone taking a picture of you or me holding a beer at a strip club and running off to show the boss. Do you really think you?d get fired for that? It doesn?t seem fair, does it?

On the other side of this, how much did The Register pay the student who took the pictures of Eustachy? It?s hard to believe he offered to give them up just because he thought it was the ?right thing to do.? Why wait four months to do it, then?

Of course, the fact that he goes to Missouri might have something to do with it, too. What better way to hurt a rival?s program than by getting the coach fired?

Does that mean that every college or newspaper can post ?innocent? students at bars and clubs, waiting to find a player or coach drunk?

If I were sitting at a bar and I saw Jim Boeheim sitting across from me, I?d go over and shake his hand, maybe even offer to buy him a drink, not take pictures of him with a beer and sell them to the highest bidder.

We all make mistakes and have to learn from them. But firing a coach for enjoying some booze and babes is too much.

Joe Marchilena is the sports editor for The Pitt News and he likes to wear a wig and glasses to the bar so that people don?t recognize him.