Petitti named to Outland watch list

By Joe Marchilena

Claude Harriott is not the only Pitt football player who can make it onto the watch list for… Claude Harriott is not the only Pitt football player who can make it onto the watch list for a national award.

On Tuesday, offensive tackle Rob Petitti was named to the Outland Trophy watch list, an award given to the best interior lineman in college football.

Petitti, who enters his junior season at Pitt having started 25 straight games at left tackle, was one of two sophomore offensive linemen to earn All-Big East honors last season.

As a redshirt freshman, Petitti made The Football News’ All-Freshman Team and was also named to The Sporting News Freshman All-America Team in 2001.

Petitti had one of his best games that season against Syracuse, holding pass rushing sensation Dwight Freeney to zero sacks. Now in the National Football League with Indianapolis, Freeney had recorded at least one sack in 15 straight games before going against Petitti.

Mark May, who played for Pitt from 1977 to 1980, is the only Panther to win the Outland Trophy, having received the honor after the 1980 season.

Panthers ranked No. 9 in preseason poll

On May 20, Athlon Sports released its preseason football poll with Pitt ranked No. 9 in the nation.

With 17 returning starters, the Panthers were described as a “program on the rise, and there is no ceiling for this year’s talented and experienced team.”The magazine featured wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald on its Eastern edition cover and called him “one of the most electrifying receivers in the game on any level.” Harriott and Petitti were also recognized as surefire All-Americans.

DiMaria earns more honors

Francesca DiMaria continues to bring in honors for an outstanding freshman softball season, having been named to the National Fastpitch Coaches Association Mid-Atlantic All-Region Second Team on May 15.

DiMaria set five school records during her first season at Pitt and earned a spot on the All-Big East First Team and Rookie Team. DiMaria also led the team in home runs and stolen bases.

Three Panthers earn baseball honors

Stuart Rykaceski, Bryan Spamer and Mike Scanzano each earned All-Big East honors for their performances during the 2003 season.

Rykaceski earned second team honors after batting a career-best .342 with 68 hits and 49 runs during his senior season. He finished his career at Pitt as the school’s all-time leader in walks and second in career at-bats, hits, runs scored and doubles.

Earning his second straight all-conference honor, Spamer was also named to the second team. The junior led Pitt in batting, runs scored, hits, stolen bases and slugging percentage.

After hitting .332 with 64 hits and 36 runs, Scanzano was named to the All-Big East Third Team.