Where the Panthers play and how to get there

By Joe Marchilena

Picture this: It’s Tuesday afternoon, your classes are already starting to bore you and the… Picture this: It’s Tuesday afternoon, your classes are already starting to bore you and the thought of doing more homework is making you wish you were back in grade school.

But wait: With 19 different intercollegiate teams and 11 varsity sports, there is almost always a sporting event to watch at Pitt. There are several ways to get anywhere the Panthers play. So hop on a bus, jump in your car or walk to the nearest sporting event and show your Panther pride.

Heinz Field

Sure, you could take the easy way to football games by jumping on one of the 40 yellow buses that fill Bigelow Boulevard three hours before every home game. Or you could be adventurous and try taking a Port Authority Transit bus Downtown and walking over to the field.

If the second option is the one you choose, then take any 61 or 71 PAT bus and head Downtown until you reach Wood Street. From there, it’s just a quick walk across the 10th Street Bridge and down General Robinson Street to Heinz Field.

And if you are too lazy to walk, then take the 501 PAT bus to the Carnegie Science Center and simply walk across the street to the stadium. But while this last option seems easy enough, remember that 501 stops can be as hard to find as a home track meet.

Petersen Events Center

This year will mark the Panthers’ second season in the Petersen Events Center, and there is plenty of room for everyone.

All you have to do to get there is find a Pitt shuttle marked 10 A, B or C, and ride it up to Sutherland Hall. From there, it’s just a long three-pointer across the street.

And for those of you who enjoy walking, the Pete can easily be reached on foot by climbing up Desoto Street and taking a left onto Terrace Street.

The Events Center will be right in front of you.

Fitzgerald Field House

And you thought they were tearing the old building down, didn’t you?

While Pitt basketball has moved next door, the Field House will still be the home for volleyball, wrestling and gymnastics, and the best way to get there is still by taking any Pitt shuttle marked 10 A, B or C to Trees Hall and crossing the street.

Trees Pool

Trees Pool, located next to Trees Hall, is where the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams practice and compete. Take the 10 A, B or C to Trees Hall, but this time go inside Trees Hall and to the left, rather than crossing the street.

Trees Field

Located behind the Cost Center, Trees Field is the venue for all of the baseball team’s home games.

The Pitt shuttles are again the best way to get there. After getting off of the 10 A, B or C in front of Trees Hall, turn back toward Sutherland Hall and start walking.

But instead of going back to Sutherland, walk up the hill to the Towerview parking garage and head into the Cost Center. Take the elevator down to the ground level and walk out the back of the parking garage. On the right will be Trees Field.

But wait, there’s more.

If you continue on past the baseball field, you’ll find the softball field. Also known as Trees Field, the softball team opened its new, on-campus home for the 2003 season.

Founders Field

Both men’s and women’s soccer teams play all their home games at Founders Field in Indiana Township. There are no PAT buses that go directly to Founders Field, but for anyone looking for some exercise, the 1B stops about a mile from the field.

The 1B stops at Liberty Avenue, across from Smithfield Street, and will take you all the way to Route 910. From there, it is about a mile walk down Route 910 to Cove Run Road. Follow Cove Run Road until you find Eisele Road; Founders Field is on the left.

For those of you with cars, take Fifth Avenue, traveling east toward Shadyside. Just past Mellon Park, bear left and cross over to Penn Avenue. Eventually, Penn Avenue will turn into Washington Boulevard.

Take Washington Boulevard and follow the signs to the Highland Park Bridge. Cross the bridge and follow the signs to Route 28 North.

Follow Route 28 until you reach Exit 9 and, as you loop around the exit, make an immediate left. Do not go to the light.

Follow the signs to Route 910 West and stay on it for a few miles. Some landmarks include Commerce Bank and Allegheny Steel, which are both on the right.

Just past the Emmerling Plaza on Route 910, turn right on Cove Run Road. Then turn left on Eisele Road. Founders Field parking area will be on the left.

Oxford Athletics

In order to see the tennis team, you have to travel to Monroeville.

Just take Interstate 376 East until you find Exit 14, which will put you on Route 22 Business. Follow Route 22 Business for approximately four or five miles. Then take a right onto Mall Boulevard and then a left onto Oxford Drive.