The Matrix has you. Again.

By Dante Ciampaglia

“The Matrix Reloaded” is a breathless piece of filmmaking that never gives the audience a… “The Matrix Reloaded” is a breathless piece of filmmaking that never gives the audience a break from its big philosophical questions and even bigger action, once they are plugged in.

Neo (Keanu Reeves) struggles with his growing powers as The One, as well as his troubling dreams of his lover/compatriot Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss), who is herself faced with dealing and comprehending Neo’s growing inner turmoil. Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) is pitted against Lock (Harry Lennix), the commander of the Resistance, partly because of their love for the same woman, Niobe (Jada Pinkett Smith), but mostly because of their differing views on the defense of Zion ” Morpheus trusts the prophecies of the Oracle (Gloria Foster), while Lock trusts in building up defenses and counterattacks.

Compounding these struggles is a greater one: an impending attack from 250,000 squid-like Sentinels, enforcers for the machines in the “real” world, on the last human outpost, the city Zion, and the human Resistance.

“The Matrix Reloaded” takes its place in the pantheon of great sequels, alongside films such as “The Empire Strikes Back” and “Terminator 2.” Directors Andy and Larry Wachowski have a much tighter grip and more fluid style in the direction of this installment, the philosophy of the film is much more challenging and the special effects are simply mind-blowing.

The first film dealt with many large philosophical ideas, among them what constitutes “the real,” but it answered those questions as broadly as it asked them. “The Matrix Reloaded,” however, deals with very focused ideas of control, causality and predetermination, among others. While, at times, it is a task to understand some of the dialogue concerning these issues and, with the questions never given concrete answers, these issues work perfectly well in the established world of “The Matrix.” And by posing its questions without fully answering them, the film is elevated above the usual trite, brainless, popcorn action flicks that are so commonly found during the summer season.

But people will be drawn to “The Matrix Reloaded” by its special effects that don’t disappoint. The first film set a new standard for special effects. Until the sequel, only the two “Lord of the Rings” films have matched those effects. Indeed, “The Matrix Reloaded” owes a great deal to both the first “Matrix” and the advancements made by the effects wizards working on “The Lord of the Rings,” but it takes that work to a new level.

Take the fight between Neo and Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving) near the middle of the film. What starts as a match between two people quickly escalates into a man versus army battle that is truly a sight to behold. From the gravity-defying acrobatics of Neo and the multiple Smiths all moving independently while attacking Neo, to the incredible climax of the fight, this set piece is a wonderful accomplishment of modern special effects and wouldn’t be possible without the advancements made in “The Two Towers.”

There’s a lot to like in “The Matrix Reloaded.” From the special effects achievements and the intelligence of the film, to the fine performances from all the principle players, this film is well worth the four-year wait.