Hometown musicians delight concertgoers all over Pittsburgh

By Katie Mavrich

In addition to a vast cultural scene featuring film, art, theater, poetry and prose,… In addition to a vast cultural scene featuring film, art, theater, poetry and prose, Pittsburgh boasts an eclectic music scene. If you are going to be living here for the next few years, there are local bands that it would be in your best interest to at least know about, even if you don’t end up becoming a devout fan. Here they are, in no particular order:

The Clarks

Probably one of the most renowned bands in the ?Burgh. The Clarks have been churning out rock tunes since their 1988 debut album, I’ll Tell You What Man. They got their start by playing regularly at Nick’s Fat City, and it snowballed from there. They have since gone on to sell out shows at the newly renamed Chevrolet Amphitheater, to have their song “Better Off Without You” featured on E!’s Anna Nicole Show and to play local festivals, like the Rolling Rock Town Fair and X-Fest. It would be embarrassing, at best, to not be able to sing along with the rest of the crowd about love gone sour, suspicion and the Fayette County Fair in “Cigarette” at a live show.

Shadow Jones

These up-and-comers love to rock out at Nick’s Fat City as well. They played the sold-out inaugural show at Station Square’s Hard Rock Cafe in July of 2002. Lucky enough to share the stage with Flickerstick and Pat Benatar, the four locals have nothing but good things in their future. Drummer Josh Cochran works for the Pitt Police Department, and if you are lucky enough to never run into him at the station, you may be even more fortunate to stumble into a frat party, only to hear Shadow Jones rocking out to “This Time Next Year” or other Shadow songs.

Strict Flow

Sharing the stage with acts like Jurassic 5, Nas and The Roots, and having your music known across the Atlantic are notable feats. Add the fact that Strict Flow has been doing this since 1996, without an album, and it makes them downright amazing. This local hip-hop act refers to the Pittsburgh area as “The 412” ? that’s the area code here, for all of you novices ? and has paid homage to their hometown by writing a song titled “4-1-Too Much” on their long-awaited debut album, aptly named Without Further Ado.

Soda Jerk

The Graffiti Rock Challenge is a prestigious contest among local bands. Rock is usually the dominating genre. In 2002, rockabillies Soda Jerk broke the norm by sweeping the finals and taking home the gold. With two studio recordings and one live compilation under their belts, Poppa, Bucky, Lucky and Cletus have taken “rural meets urban” to a new extreme.

Science Fiction Idols

Speaking of Graffiti Rock Challenge winners, these guys won it all this year: 60 hours of studio recording time, a year’s supply of Pittsburgh Brewing Company beer and more than 15 minutes of fame. Their self-described “neo-glam trash rock” has caught on around the city, and they have been relentlessly playing live shows, snagging quite a following.

Buzz Poets

Few things can match the energy of a live Buzz Poets show. Their hard-hitting rock provides the perfect amount of fuel for lead singer Tripper to bounce and thrash around the stage. It isn’t all about fast-paced music, though. “Angel Eyes” is a slow, moving ballad sung so softly that it can be a bit difficult to hear all of the lyrics in a sold-out club. And ladies, don’t be surprised if a man offers you a dip of Copenhagen at one of their many performances.

Stainless

The ?80s were by far one of the best decades for music. Not just Debbie Gibson pop, either. Make-up wearing, big-haired bands cranking out cutting-edge rock metal were all the rage. While the genre burned out quicker than it could fade away, Stainless is here to take us back to a time when acid-washed, tight jeans were fashionable. The ?80s-metal cover band does everything from Poison, Motley Crue, Winger, Def Leppard and Firehouse to Warrant, Great White, Guns N’ Roses, Slaughter, Mr. Big and more. They recently lost their lead singer, Johnny Rock, to the slammer for 12-25 years. One can only hope that they will find a replacement who can emulate voices like he could.

Rusted Root

This funky jam band has left the confines of Pittsburgh to be heard all over the country. While shows here are few and far between, good things to know are: Band member Liz Berlin is a co-founder/owner of Millvale’s Mr. Small’s Funhouse, and that they are, of course, from the Steel City.

Phat Man Dee

Bald except for small pigtails, Phat Man Dee is more than just a local jazz singer with an extremely strong voice. She is a stage veteran with local theatre companies, her voice can be heard in seven different languages and she can eat glass. Her husband, Tommy Amoeba, is often part of her live performances. Traverse the South Side on a regular basis and you are sure to run into her more than once.