Eat like a Pittsburgher: seven places the locals go

By Katie Mavrich

Dining on campus is a cheap, convenient way to satisfy hunger. Sometimes, though, you need… Dining on campus is a cheap, convenient way to satisfy hunger. Sometimes, though, you need to break away from blocks and dining dollars to get some quality food. Without further ado, here are six must-eat restaurants if you are going to call Pittsburgh home for the next few years.

Church Brew Works 3525 Liberty Ave. (412) 688-8200

Some people feel that it is sacrilegious to tear down a church after the parish has moved to a new location. Brewing beer in said church apparently isn’t as big a sin. Some of the original pews serve as seats for dining patrons. Huge vats of brewing beer sit visibly on the altar, along with the oven that bakes the wood-fired specialty pizzas. The beer sampler complements the menu well; try Celestial Gold beer with your salad, featuring dressing made from the brew of the same name, or Pipe Organ Pale ale with the shrimp and hotcake stack. Whatever your fancy, the Church Brew Works has it.

Dave and Andy’s Homemade Ice Cream 207 Atwood St. (412) 681-4001

If you get a little lost on your way to Dave and Andy’s, let your nose be your guide. The sweet aroma of freshly baked waffle cones and chocolate chip cookie dough wafts out the door and attracts lines of people that can make the wait for a scoop of chilled delight as long as an hour. Ranked fifth-best ice cream in the nation by USA Today, Baskin-Robbins and their 31 flavors can’t touch this hometown favorite.

Hard Rock Cafe 230 W. Station Square Dr. (412) 481-7625

Like any Applebee’s or TGI Friday’s, Hard Rock Cafe has traditional menu items ? hamburgers, salads, potato skins and the like. What separates this from other chain restaurants is the atmosphere. Autographed guitars and pictures of rock stars hang on the walls, plasma-screen TVs broadcast music videos that you can’t find on MTV anymore, and a section of tables transforms into a stage for local and national music performances at night. Complete with a gift shop, Hard Rock Cafe is a must for those hungry for music and food.

Palomino 4 Gateway Center (412) 642-7711

Located Downtown, the glamorous bar and window-lined dining room make Palomino perfect for a celebratory meal with your parents or a very, very special date. Starters like crab and artichoke dip, and tomato-olive spread are two of the house specialties. Pittsburgh- and Pennsylvania-made ingredients are all over the menu, which features steaks, lamb and tons of seafood. Don’t miss the pear bread pudding or the caramelized banana split for dessert.

Primanti Bros. 3803 Forbes Ave. (412) 621-4444

Pittsburgh has some unique quirks when it comes to food ? French fries on salads, restaurants named Eat’N Park, jimmies on ice cream, and calling an order of fries that can feed a family “small.” And we have Primanti’s. With locations in Oakland, South Side, Downtown and PNC Park, these famous sandwiches are never too far away. Fries aren’t a side; they are simply another ingredient between two slices of bread. If you aren’t a fan of coleslaw, make sure you tell them no grass on yours when you order.

Spaghetti Warehouse 2601 Smallman St. (412) 261-6511

Italians can please even the pickiest of eaters with their cooking, and the Spaghetti Warehouse in the Strip District offers a cozy dining environment to help. Whet your whistle with a fruity sangria, and start off with creamy spinach and artichoke dip served with crunchy garlic bread. Shrimp Alfredo and 15-layer lasagna are among the pasta specialties on the menu. Chicken, veal and eggplant parmigiana are dishes that the heftier eaters will enjoy. A true Italian meal isn’t complete without tiramisu for dessert.

There are countless other restaurants in and around Oakland that you’ll become more acquainted with during your time at Pitt. For a quick primer, check out our dining guide under the Feature Issues sections at www.pittnews.com.