A view of the real world, graduation or not

By Editorial

The Pitt News Editorial Board has made a habit of closing every year with some advice for… The Pitt News Editorial Board has made a habit of closing every year with some advice for students who want to make their college careers memorable. This year, as many editors are graduating or leaving the paper for other ventures, the farewell is full of heartfelt, tried and true advice. Some of it sounds passe, and other bits should be obvious, but it turns out they’re not, and all serious students should – nay, must – take these words to heart.

Pitt is a huge university with countless opportunities. If you spend your college years simply going to class and pulling down decent grades, you won’t be getting your money’s worth. Student activities are what make college worthwhile, so get involved in any way you can. Whether you find your niche in student organizations, rallies, seminars, charity projects, media or sports – intramural if you’re not that talented – there is a place on campus where everyone can participate in something special. Graduation is not a prerequisite for doing something valuable with your life.

Pitt isn’t the real world, but the campus does have a nice view of it. Take advantage of this relatively free time in life to experience everything the city has to offer. Do things you won’t be able to do in a few years when you have serious responsibilities. For some, this may involve karaoke on weeknights. For others, it may involve karaoke at all. For everyone, it means avoiding the daily class/homework/sleep rut and experiencing the city environment while it’s available. Unlike many smaller schools, Pitt doesn’t function within a bubble, so don’t act like it does.

Pitt is home to a very diverse group of people, so build some relationships and get to know your peers. Make a few close friends, let the faculty and staff know they’re appreciated, and support the athletes every chance you get. Schools that are rich in community and tradition are those with students who are excited to be a part of the group. Occasionally, while taking a break from the spirited gatherings and social outings, take the time to call loved ones at home.

Lastly, there is something to be said for maintaining a strong grade point average. Grades are a major factor in the college career, and they deserve to be considered as such. There is also something to be said for working hard for the first three years and taking it easy during the last. Few things are quite so fulfilling as an easy last semester.

Having put another year behind you and looking forward to the next, plan new ways to make your college career count. Pitt continues to provide you with countless opportunities, but it is up to you to take them.