It’s getting indie in here, so take off all your clothes

By Melynda Fuller

Les Savy Fav, Creta Bourzia, S Process, Hya Kcha

The Rex Theatre

Tomorrow, 10 p.m…. Les Savy Fav, Creta Bourzia, S Process, Hya Kcha

The Rex Theatre

Tomorrow, 10 p.m.

$10

21+

Les Savy Fav, those punchy, perky, arty boys from Brooklyn, are invading the South Side with a vengeance. In 1995, the gods smiled upon the Rhode Island School of Design where the group met and began to play together. Soon they solidified, recorded, toured, lost a few members and gained a few members, including bassist Syd Butler. They even found time to begin a record label: Frenchkiss Records.

The combination of art-by-day, rock-by-night ultimately meshed into one world. Listening to a Les Savy Fav album is like strolling through the halls of a gallery that showcases nothing but graphic art by Georges Seurat – up close it appears to be the work of madness. Take a few steps back and it’s a visual, in this case musical, jigsaw puzzle with a dark edge only capable of being created by true masters.

Their current tour supports their latest release, Go Forth, in addition to new songs that will appear on an album in the works. New material is just one of the reasons this band deserves all of the attention Saturday night. While their music is mind boggling, their live show is even more notoriously explosive. The mixture of dance, rock ‘n’ roll, and catchy tunes could excite even the biggest square.

Touring with Les Savy Fav is fellow Frenchkiss Records band S Process. Finally finding a home in Philadelphia, the band recorded their Frenchkiss debut MNML, due out at the end of April. According to the band, their sound is “a lot like Britney Spears if, instead of dating Justin, she spent her youth having sex with incompetent emo boys.” Basically, it’s sexually frustrated, poppy dance music that’s just slightly infuriated.

The Frenchkiss invasion, in addition to performances by Creta Bourzia and Hya Kcha, promises to be an evening worthy of your hard earned cash and some serious moves busted on the dance floor.