Precious rocks: getting stoned by musical gems Topaz

By Katie Mavrich

Topaz

April 23, 9 p.m.

Club Cafe, $8 to $10, 21+

(412) 431-4950

Geology… Topaz

April 23, 9 p.m.

Club Cafe, $8 to $10, 21+

(412) 431-4950

Geology and chemistry are more than just final exams that haggard college students will face this week; they are two key factors that hold the New York jazzy soul band Topaz together.

The former, the group’s namesake, is Topaz McGarrigle – yes, Topaz is his real name – the tenor saxophonist who hails from Austin, Texas. When he ventured to New York about five years ago, he hooked up with the rest of what would become Topaz. With chemistry strong enough to split a hydrogen atom, the group released their 2001 release, The Zone, at Millvale’s own Mr. Small’s Funhouse.

At the time, Mr. Small’s wasn’t as big of a name as it has become recently, but this doesn’t make the recording any less significant: Rusted Root’s Liz Berlin, her husband Mike Speranzo and Peter Beckerman formed the skate park, recording studio and concert venue. Whether or not the band cites Rusted Root as an influence is insignificant, but it’s easy to see why they chose the homey venue to record an album with acid jazz and funky songs.

With its Phish-reminiscent grooves heavily infused with saxophone melodies, the album traverses a wide variety of musical styles. Blues, jazz, funk, soul, rock and a little bit of trance vibes here and there are all part of The Zone. Traditional elements include guitar, bass and, of course, drums. To complete their signature Afrobeat improvisational sound tenor saxophone, Wurlitzer, trombone and even a didgeridoo are introduced.

Lyrics are few and far between, but when funky tunes are the forte of a band they need not be watered down with the human voice. Formed in 1998, the band began relentlessly touring in 2000, and they have shared the stage with Widespread Panic, Soulive, Robert Walters 20th Congress and the Wailers, Bob Marley’s band. Their live shows are something to talk about – with such furious energy, the audience is almost taken to a tribal, spiritual level.

Take yourself to a higher state of mind, body and soul this week as the band returns to the city that gave them their remarkable release.