Students prepare to become alumni at Graduation Central

By CHRISTIAN SCHOENING

Graduating seniors waited in line to have their heads measured Tuesday and Wednesday as part… Graduating seniors waited in line to have their heads measured Tuesday and Wednesday as part of Pitt’s second annual Graduation Central.

After being fitted for their caps and gowns, students entered the main ballroom of Alumni Hall amid garlands of blue and gold balloons and the smiling faces of bookstore employees, Blue and Gold Society members, and representatives from the sponsoring Alumni Association waiting to offer any assistance required.

The event, which was held for the first time last year, is “One-stop shopping for seniors for all their graduation needs,” described Maryjean Lovett, manager of student alumni programs.

As students walked from table to table they were offered the opportunity to buy their cap and gown, pick-up their tickets and commencement instructions, as well as sign up for numerous services offered by the Pitt Alumni Association. Some of those services included registration for the online community and Pitt Club information from around the world.

The primary sponsors, including the Alumni Association, the Book Center and the Office of Special Events, organized the event “as a vehicle to make the transition from student to alumnus very smooth,” Lovett said.

She went on to emphasize how important it is for Pitt students to realize the value of a connection with the university and their fellow alumni.

Christine Dockey, 1994 Pitt graduate and member of the Alumni Association, felt the event was a good opportunity to begin to bridge the gap between students and alumni.

“Every student should connect to their university – it helps keep you connected to your home,” Dockey said.

According to Leland Patouillet, the Alumni Association’s associate vice chancellor, “it’s an idea that we all have had for a number of years, as a way to make the graduation experience as informative and enjoyable as possible.”

Blue and Gold President Peter Stopp said he believed that “all [the students] seem to be fairly happy and are enjoying the speed in which they are going through.”

“It was easy and very fast,” described graduating engineer, Scott Fazzone.

His friend, Dan Hladio, agreed “the whole thing took about three minutes – tops.”

Stopp said he thinks the event will most likely become a yearly tradition, simply because it is both convenient and the students are responding positively to it.

“It benefits everybody,” Stopp said.