Everybody loves a bar crawl

By Katie Mavrich

Strip District Club Crawl, $8

Friday and Saturday 6 p.m. to 2 a.m.

Tickets… Strip District Club Crawl, $8

Friday and Saturday 6 p.m. to 2 a.m.

Tickets available at Dave’s Music Mine Oakland (412) 687-1234

Dave’s Music Mine South Side (412) 488-8800

Valhalla’s (412) 434-1440

Mullaney’s Harp and Fiddle (412) 622-6622

Sometimes the Strip District can get a bit pricey for the average college student. Bar-hopping will surely break the bank because of the covers the clubs charge and the pricey drinks that follow. This weekend our friends, Neighbors in the Strip, in conjunction with a variety of other Pittsburgh organizations, have assembled what is billed to be Pittsburgh’s longest happy hour – the Strip District Club Crawl.

The event takes place tonight and tomorrow, but you might want to save the beans for tomorrow’s college student escapade – tonight’s Club Crawl caters to young professionals.

Eight dollars takes care of cover for almost all 22 locations; for example, half of the $5 cover charge must be paid at music venue Busker’s where Pilot Radio and Top Ten Idols will be playing. Everything from restaurants, bars, clubs and music venues, though, are included with the crawl.

Should hunger strike, Spaghetti Warehouse will offer its Italian specialty appetizers half price and Park House will follow suit. Tequila Willies, the Boardwalk and Donzi’s are offering free drinks from 10 p.m. to 11 p.m. to anyone with lipstick. This won’t be a problem for the ladies and brave men comfortable with their sexuality. Note to men – chose colors wisely and don’t forget to blot.

Half-price beers can be consumed at Valhalla and Foundry Ale Works and other drink specials such as $1 Rolling Rock and Rolling Rock Lights at Have a Nice Day Cafe.

Some clubs such as Touch and Sanctuary require proper dress, and for that business casual is the way to go – this means no hats or baggy jeans.

Preview some of the locations by getting your tickets at Valhalla’s or Mullaney’s Harp and Fiddle. Tickets can be purchased at these locations from 6 p.m. until 10 p.m. both nights. They can also be purchased at the Dave’s Music Mines in Oakland and the South Side. This isn’t something to procrastinate: Because 1,200 people are expected between the two nights, Neighbors in the Strip could run out of wristbands.

The UV Loop, another sponsor of the Club Crawl, provides transportation. While a ride on the UV Loop is always free with a Pitt ID, friends from neighboring schools like Carnegie Mellon University and Duquesne University will be happy to know that it is included in the ticket price. Crawlers can catch it on Forbes outside of the William Pitt Union twice an hour.

With finals fast approaching, there are three must crawl reasons: To de-stress before finals, save money in the Strip and, because all proceeds go to Neighbors in the Strip, a nonprofit economic development organization, it’s a good deed, too.

For more info visit http://www.neighborsinthestrip.com.

For a UV Loop schedule visit http://www.uvloop.com.