New bill helps student reservists

By Christian Schoening

If the Senate passes new legislation this term, Pitt students who have been called out… If the Senate passes new legislation this term, Pitt students who have been called out to serve their country as military reservists will qualify for new forms of loan relief.

The bill, which moved through the House of Representatives with full bipartisan support, is predicted to pass in the Senate with very little opposition.

According to a statement from Rep. John Kline, R-Minn., the Higher Education Relief Opportunities for Students Act of 2003 makes sure that student reservists “will not suffer financially from burdensome student loan obligations.”

For Pitt students, this means that the U.S. Secretary of Education can formally excuse students from federal loan obligations while they are away.

It will provide postsecondary institutions with the option of granting complete full refunds of tuition and fees during the period of the student’s absence. Additionally, it encourages the colleges and universities to make the process of re-application and re-admission easier.

The HEROS Act will also ask lending institutions to provide “all the available benefits, deferrals and flexibility” possible so that students do not find themselves faced with excessive financial burdens as a result of their service to their country.

Kline’s press secretary, Angelyn Wollen, explained that the bill had its roots in the aftermath of Sept. 11, 2001.

According to Wollen, “We didn’t feel that it [the current situation] was fair fare -ms for troops serving their country.”

Vice Chancellor for Public Affairs Robert Hill said the University supports the bill because “it is consistent with the attitude the University assumes.”

Perhaps most pertinent to many students is the element of the bill that requires lending institutions to grant more flexibility in the payment process.

Keith New, the vice president of communications for the Pennsylvanian Higher Education Assistance Agency, agreed with the bill and said, “anything that is going to benefit students we eagerly support.”

New also noted that the PHEAA already has various deferment programs in place but said, “it would behoove the system to provide some kind of relief [for student reservists].”